Thanks

Image for Windows

TeraByte's Image For Windows version 2.99-00 made available on February 25, 2016. Standard compression of an image is ~2 : 1, byte-for-byte verification of the image is optional, plus you can keep using Windows while it creates an image.

If you're already licensed, the upgrade is free. Retail is $38.94 US.

Check the link, there's extra software included, as usual; "Every purchase of Image for Windows includes a copy of Image for DOS and Image for Linux. Image for DOS and Image for Linux support the same powerful drive image functionality without requiring a working Windows installation. It also includes a licensed copy of the TeraByte OS Deployment Tool Suite (TBOSDTS) Pro. TBOSDT Pro contains a set of powerful utilities that, among other things, will help you deploy Windows to completely different hardware."
    Last edited by bbearren; 2016-02-25 at 18:40.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-03-08),RockE (2016-02-25)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm confused why TeraByte offers so many versions of the program. The choices in Windows are:

Image for Windows V2.99-00 (GUI) with IFD-CUI, IFL-CUI, and IFU-CUI
    Image for Windows V2.99-00 (GUI) with IFD-GUI, IFL-GUI, and IFU-CUI
    Image for Windows V2.99-00 (GUI) with IFD-CUI and IFU-CUI
    Image for Windows V2.99-00 (GUI) with IFD-GUI and IFU-CUI

IFD=Image for DOS
    IFL=Image for Linux
    IFU=Image for UEFI
    GUI=Graphical User Interface
    CUI=Character User Interface

Which one do I go for?
    Last edited by thatman; 2016-03-08 at 14:14.

Thanks
    Download 'em all, sort 'em out later
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-03-08)

Thanks
    Work out which features you want, and download the closest approximation to that.

Remember also that "other excellent imaging programs are available"...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thatman View Post
    I'm confused why TeraByte offers so many versions of the program. ....

Which one do I go for?
    Hummm, when I load it into their cart I only see one version, and it does not indicate a CUI or GUI options.

Which one do you want? I agree, it seems to me they ought to all be combined into a single package with the user choosing to use either the graphical interface or character (command line) interface for each.

As to which one do you want, in a boot emergency would you rather have a bootable (DOS) and Linux version with a GUI or a command line interface? What makes you more comfortable?

The command line (CUI) usually has the most options (though many may be obscure) and can be combined into a fairly powerful command. The GUI menu is more familiar to most users, usually considered easier to use without reading the manual at the expense of some options (sometimes, depending upon the GUI author). CUI also lends itself well to batching and linking a unique command string to its own user created icon (for example I have a unique shutdown command string I use on an icon called Shutdown).

If you are comfortable with a CUI interface and know it well it is much faster to implement than its comparable GUI. But the rub is you have to know it.

Additionally there is the option of having Image for UEFI or not. I can find no information on their site about Image for UEFI despite it being a two year old product. I'm guessing from below it allows accessing via UEFI bypassing Secure Boot without having to go through the manipulations linked to below. But it is a guess on my part.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ucf...php?f=4&t=1319
    -demonstrates you are not the only one with questions and very poor answers leading me to believe the responers aren't comfortable describing when and why IFU is used.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=572

Thanks
    They say CUI works on more different systems. I use GUI. I typically backup across my network. My desktop has two 1TB drives with 15 partitions spread between them. My NAS has a SSD OS drive and 4 3TB drives in a RAID 10 array, plus a drive dock. The GUI does everything I want it to. I can image any partition/drive to any other partition/drive that has enough space to hold the image.

As for other imaging software, I'm sure there are other good programs out there. This is the only one I've ever used, I'm quite comfortable with it, and it has never failed me.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2016-03-08 at 18:55.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows