Thread: Dithering

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dithering

When I downloaded my email this morning, Kaspersky was on the ball and told me I had a virus in an email. I then let Kaspersky spend much of the day running a full scan. So much for that deadline.

On reading the mail, I see from the header that the subject reads ‘Suspicious part has been deleted: Invoice… Invoice_copy (#).zip. The text reads Please review the attached copy of your Invoice… for an amount of $652.36.

I certainly didn’t spend or receive $652.36 at that address or elsewhere, and if someone is stealing it from me, who I should tell (bank, credit card, PayPal etc.) is perplexing. Interestingly enough, the preceding email was from Brian Krebs bot, which may have targeted me for this.

It looks like someone has either already swiped my loot online or is trying to. On the other hand, it may be someone who is trying to give me a virus. If I open the attachment (in outrage over the fake money, or out of pure curiosity), I have a virus. If I email the sender, that confirms my email address.

Does anyone know how to deal with this?

Thanks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

dogberry (2016-02-26)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco
    +1

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

dogberry (2016-02-26)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bang on, and thank you to both of you for having a ready answer. That description is a perfect fit.

Kaspersky stated that 'Suspicious part has been deleted', which is a great relief to put it mildly. I think it paid for itself on that one.