Thanks

Win 10 'Print to PDF' file size comparison

A WSL forum member recently posted a thread about Can't print to pdf problem in Windows 10. During testing I noticed the difference in file sizes between Microsoft's implementation of Print to PDF compared to that of others.

My testing wasn't particularly empirical inasmuch that I didn't revert to any common baseline before installing each new 'Print to PDF' product. Instead I just installed the latest versions of each of them, one after another, and then 'printed' the first page of https://windowssecrets.com/ to a PDF file at 100% using each 'Print to PDF' pseudo-printer's default settings in turn.

I found it difficult to see any difference in quality between them when checking the PDF docs side-by-side in a PDF viewer.

Here's the 'file size' results:

File size order:
    PrimoPDF - 85 KB
    Foxit Reader - 106 KB
    Nitro PDF Creator (Pro 10) - 112 KB
    doPDF 8 - 188 KB
    MS Print to PDF - 353 KB
    CutePDF Writer - 454 KB

Alphabetical order:
    CutePDF Writer - 454 KB
    doPDF 8 - 188 KB
    Foxit Reader - 106 KB
    MS Print to PDF - 353 KB
    Nitro PDF Creator (Pro 10) - 112 KB
    PrimoPDF - 85 KB

Hope this helps...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 1,039 Posts
    At various times I've tried all of the PDF tools except doPDF. All of them, except Microsoft's which I haven't used extensively enough to say for sure, have failed to create a PDF or created a PDF that was unusable on a variety of files some easy and some more complex. Some of those were several years ago and may be resolved now.

Joe