New Lounger
    Thanks

Libraries Do Not Show

I defined a set of libraries in Windows 10 File Explorer. Whenever I attempt to open or save a file in most of my applications, the libraries are not shown; only This PC is shown and I have to select files or folders from This PC. I also get the same behavior whenever I download files from some site; I have to select a folder to save the files via This PC. This behavior is frustrating! Is there anyway to correct this behavior?

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64but, version 1511, OS build 10586.104.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Try changing the View options in File Explorer. Go to the View tab | Options button on ribbon | Change folder and search options | View (tab). Scroll to the bottom. Make sure "Show Libraries" is checked. OK your way out. Re-boot.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I can see my libraries in File Explorer. The problem seeing the libraries from applications when I save or open files.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Try this. Open Word. Go to File | Open. Click Browse. Right click an empty spot in the navigation pane on the left. Click "Show Libraries".

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Here are two examples of apps that do not show the libraries on file|open: Word 2010 and Foxit Phantom Pdf. When I go to file|open, I see This PC and Networks. My libraries do not show up so I have to go to This PC|Users|Joe| and proceed from there. It is very frustrating and time consuming. I did not have this problem with Windows 7 Pro.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    I'm working from Word 2016 so I don't remember if 2010 works the same way. Try this. Go to File | Open. Double click "This PC". NOTE: on my machine this opens a standard open file dialog box. If it does this on your PC Right click an empty spot in the navigation pane on the left. Click "Show Libraries".

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I solved the problem by pinning the libraries to Quick Access and configure File Explorer to open in Quick Access. This is not the perfect solution but it works for me.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This page shows three different ways to show librares in File Explorer: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

Administrator
    Thanks
    @JazzGuyy

The OP was asking about the open file dialog not File Explorer.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just ran a test. I created a library. The new library shows up under a Libraries header in my File Explorer Navigation pane. I had to scroll down below the This PC item to get to the Libraries item. I also opened a new document in Word (2007) are all my libraries were shown and available under the Libraries header in the Navigation pane in the Save dialogue. Now I don't understand why the OP doesn't see this. I do have the Show Libraries switch turned on.