5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

EBook Reader WX App ?

One thing that seems to be missing from the apps that come with Win10 is an ebook reader. Specifically, I'm looking for a WinX app that will read MOBI format books. Before I spend an afternoon digging around the internet for something, does anyone have a favorite and why?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Searching the Store with "ebook reader" comes up with 29 hits. I use the Kindle Reader along with Overdrive to read books from our local library. Apparently, you can read MOBI books with a tweak as described here:
    http://www.ebookpartnership.com/help...i-file-kindle/

Haven't tried it so ymmv.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Searching the Store with "ebook reader" comes up with 29 hits.
    I know, I was hoping someone had some experience with one or more of these.

Your Kindle link works with an actual Kindle, but not with a Kindle app - I've tried. Amazon started to move in the right direction with a way to link a Kindle to the AZ Cloud Drive, but that also doesn't seem to work with the Kindle Reader app(s).
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Graham,

I'd recommend you give the open source Calibre a close look. I use this constantly to download books from Project Gutenberg, convert them to Amzon's AWZ2 format (It also converts to/form many other formats) and then automatically load them to my Kindles. It also offers the option to read on your computer and maintains a library of the books on your computer allowing you to tag them with key words you feel appropriate.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was hoping first to find a simple Windows app rather then a full blown program. If Windows is ever going to make it as a tablet replacement, they need good apps.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Graham,

How about the Kindle Reader App? Paired with Calibre you'd get all the benefits of the kindle reader with all the free content you can find.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    How about the Kindle Reader App? Paired with Calibre you'd get all the benefits of the kindle reader with all the free content you can find.
    It's the very first thing I tried, before I even posted this. There does not seem to be a way to download anything but purchased Kindle books to one of the reader apps. To an actual Kindle, yes, but not a reader app.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I may have to give Calibre a try, but here is something I have discovered. If you have the Kindle for PC program installed on your PC, and you double click a MOBI file, it will open. However, the same is not true of the Kindle Windows app (e.g. the Metro/Modern/Universal/Windows app). Nor does there seem to be any way to make it the default program to open anything.

So, perhaps the simple answer, since I do have a Kindle, is to install the full PC version rather than the MMUW version.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm
    So, perhaps the simple answer, since I do have a Kindle, is to install the full PC version rather than the MMUW version.
    Quick side note: Depending on the version of Kindle, Amazon have recently released firmware updates, e.g. Kindle Keyboard.

Hope this helps...