New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Windows 7 pro to Win 10

I have a Windows 7 Pro machine that I bought several years ago, with an in place licence. I was wondering if I could downgrade the Windows 7 Professional installation to Win 7 home to get Windows 10?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows 7 Professional (and Windows 7 Ultimate) will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.

Isn't that what you want ?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...windows-10-faq

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Not really, if it's a free upgrade, sure, but it's a home machine, that I bought that had Pro installed. I tried upgrading, but it wouldn't work, so...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You did not acquire rights to Windows 7 Home.

A Pro SKU of Windows just has more features enabled. It is a superset of a Home SKU. Even though your machine is a home PC there is no reason it must run a Home SKU. I believe most of the experienced Loungers prefer a Pro SKU because of the additional tools and control available.

Without more information about the upgrade failure there is no reason to believe that Windows 7 Home would upgrade properly. Please provide more information about the PC - make, model, specifications, how far the upgrade got, what error you received, & what if anything you've tried to resolve the error.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After creating a Windows 10 installation flash drive (with version 1511 from November) my experience is that wiping a computer's hard drive, then installing Win10 by using the Product Key from the computer's label has worked (if that label is for Windows 7 or 8.1).

So, my question would be, "Does the computer have a Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 product key on a label?". If it does, then I'd run the Media Creation Tool and make myself a flash drive for Windows 10.

Just in case... You might want to image your hard drive first.

RockE
    Last edited by RockE; 2016-02-27 at 15:50. Reason: added caution about imaging the drive

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just upgraded my Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro

"I tried upgrading, but it wouldn't work, so..."
    As requested please provide the information necessary for us to help

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sandstrw View Post
    I was wondering if I could downgrade the Windows 7 Professional installation to Win 7 home to get Windows 10?
    Why downgrade? And BTW, as JoeP517 says, you dont have license to upgrade to anything other than Win 10 Pro.

No downgrades allowed - you have to stay with the same license level.

the bigger question is why did it fail the upgrade to win 10 pro? How far did you get? did you get an error code?