Thanks

Can't Save Mail Merge Document

I've been doing this for many months in Word 2010 running under Window 7: Open my mail merge document, say Yes when it asks about the data source (a named range on an Excel sheet), merge a few new records from the data source into a new document, Directoryn. Then set the mail merge document to the last record in the data source and save it with changes.

It has become a familiar and almost automatic process.

A few days ago I upgraded to Windows 10, and things no longer work as they did before. Everything is fine until I try to save the mail merge document with changes. At that point I get this error message:

Capture.PNG
    The document just refuses to save. I CAN save it without changes, though. Pressing the Help button doesn't give much help -- I can't figure out what File Permission Error is behind the problem.

I'd REALLY like to save the changed document. What's going on here?
    Last edited by Lou Sander; 2016-02-27 at 21:24. Reason: Be more specific about the data source
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Sander View Post
    Then set the mail merge document to the last record in the data source and save it with changes.

... Everything is fine until I try to save the mail merge document with changes. ...
    The document just refuses to save. I CAN save it without changes, though. Pressing the Help button doesn't give much help -- I can't figure out what File Permission Error is behind the problem.
    Your description suggests you're trying to save a preview of the mailmerge main document and you're never actually executing the merge. That's really not how mailmerges are supposed to be done - you're supposed to execute them and save the output file. That said, can you save the file via SaveAs with a new name?
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    I've done some more work on this. I definitely DO execute the merge, which is usually for a few recent records (for example #468-#472 out of 472 records). Then I process some data in the merged document (Directoryn) further, for purposes related to updating a web site. Until now, I've never saved Directoryn, since I have no further need for it. Then I set the mail merge document onto the latest record (which it didn't know about when I opened it) and save it. This has worked reliably in the past (subject to my possible faulty memory).

The key to the problem seems to be the failure to save the merged Directory. In my recent tests, I've saved it, after which I have no problem closing and saving the mail merge document.

It seems as though Word 2010 and Windows 10 are keeping track of the fact that a document related to the mail merge document is still open, and are therefore forbidding the latter to close. I don't think that happened under Windows 7.

In the future, I can just save the Directory, then delete it.

UPDATE: The key seems to be CLOSING the Directoryn, rather than SAVING it.
    Last edited by Lou Sander; 2016-02-29 at 13:07. Reason: Clarify
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    I suspect a bug in Win 10 or, maybe, a faulty Office installation. That said, I can't see the benefit of pointing the mailmerge main document to the last record then re-saving it. A single click on the 'last record' button is all it ever takes to get to the last record if that's what you want to merge but, if you've added records since the last merge, that's not what your saved mailmerge main document would open at anyway.

You might try repairing the Office installation (via Start > Windows Control Panel > Programs > Programs & Features > Microsoft Office (version) > Change > Repair).
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]