New Lounger
    Thanks

System Protection Disk Space Usage set to 100%!

Hello All,

I have a 1TB HDD (plus external drives). The last time I looked at "Computer" in Explorer to see the used space of my drives my internal drive had somewhere around 600GB free space. Today my system was slow. While trying to diagnose this I happened to look at "Computer" while moving some files and saw my drive had less than 100GB free space. WinDirStat said I had about 248GB of data on the drive, and no matter how many files I deleted I could get the free space down to only 130GB free.

I was fearing some malware had created a hidden file of monstrous proportions and was trying to figure out how to find it.

I failed to notice the "System Volume Information" entry in WinDirStat, which says it is taking 0 space. Later I realized Windows will not show that space so I ran cleanmgr and cleaned system files, removing old restore points. At the conclusion of that (very long) process my disk usage was normal: I now have 652GB free space. So next I went into System Properties > System Protection > Configure, and discovered Disk Space Usage > Max Usage was set to 100%, meaning Windows can use up my entire hard drive for restore points!

My hard drive has never filled up like this before. I am regularly creating restore points before I do anything unusual. So I am doubting this setting has always been at 100%. Is there any way Windows could have re-set or defaulted to 100% The first thing I did today was catch up on Susan Bradley's columns and install 9 Windows Updates. Could one of those updates have done this? Can Windows "hiccup" and do this?

Thanks,
    Gene

(By the way, I set it to 10% Max Usage.)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello All,

I wrote the above message one month ago, and no one has responded. Today, for the third time I discovered the System Protection Disk Space Usage is set to 100%. Since I am not doing it manually, something else is. Does anyone have any idea what could be doing it, or how I can monitor for changes (other than checking it as I periodically do)? I have scanned my hdd and have Norton Security actively monitoring my system. There are no other indications of problems. Thanks.

Gene

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When you say you have scanned your HDD, was that with a chkdsk /f or sfc /scannow ?

Thanks
    Have you tried Treesize Free? This will give a complete list of all your folders with their filesizes. You can drill down on each folder to see what's there. It might help you find what's eating your space. However, though it might be one or two large files, it could also be thousands of smaller files.

Here's a screenshot to illustrate

treesize.PNG

Good luck
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The thread isn't about what is taking up the disk space but what keeps changing System Protection to 100%.

Thanks
    Yes, you're right, my bad.

No chance of me looking astonished!
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

Thanks
    Knowing what is filling up his drive might give us a clue as to what keeps changing System Protection to 100%.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Task Scheduler/Microsoft/Windows/System Protection and when it's scheduled may give more info.

I had last set mine to 3% but on checking, it is now showing as 2%.

It was my understanding that Windows can prevent a single user from filling up the HDD, but this would not seem to apply to System Protection.

Thanks
    I had last set mine to 3% but on checking, it is now showing as 2%.
    Interesting, as mine is down to 2% now also. Guess I'll run it up to 4% again and see what happens. Stranger still is that the OP's is going the opposite direction.