5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win8.1 Recovery Drive on USB and hard-drive partition

Computer: Gateway SX2110G Windows 8.1 (x64) desktop upgraded from Win8 to Win 8.1
    --- The computer was upgraded from Win8 to Win 8.1 in Aug 2013 and runs fine
    --- I would like to create a Recovery Drive on a USB Memory Stick

During the procedure there is an option to check or uncheck ´Copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive”
    --- In this case I believe it should be unchecked.
    --- Since the original OS is Win8 I doubt the recovery partition applies to Win 8.1
    --- Does that make sense?

Here is the disk management screen for the way the disk is portioned.
    --- It also appears to me it would be a good idea to empty the 14.74 GB partition and merge it with the C partition
    --- Does this also make sense?
    Dee's Disk Management.PNG

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, uncheck it to avoid including the old Windows 8.0 recovery from the manufacturer.

You can either merge the 15.74 GB partition or leave it. It depends on whether you foresee any need of ever returning the computer to Windows 8.0 again.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RockE For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-02-29)

Thanks
    I am a belt and suspenders kind of guy when it comes to having paths back to a working computer. My personal opinion is to keep the partition AND to put it on the flash drive. It only costs you a small percentage of your hard drive, and the flash drive does require you to use it if you do not want to, you can still use the flash drive as a regular recovery drive.

If you had a image you made right after the 8.1 upgrade, and assuming the computer was working perfectly at that time, you might be able to just do one not both of the above. Just my opinion.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Vincenzo For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-02-29)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have decided not to do the Recovery Drive on a USB Memory Stick as I don't trust whether or not it will be for Win8 or Win 8.1.
    --- If it's trustworthy I will change my mind and do so

I did create an 8.1 system image backup back in Dec 2015 as it was running perfectly
    --- That backup was created via the File History method
    --- But now I want to remove it but I don't see how to do so for 8.1
    --- In System Restore, I have 4 System Image Restore Points from Dec
    --- 3 of them from before the most recent system image backup
    --- Those 3 entries I will never be able to get rid of
    --- Instructions from some internet searches indicated all I had to do was delete the image backup on the external hard drive
    --- Even though I didn't believe it I finally did try that out of frustrations from not finding a normal way to remove older system image backups.
    --- Recommendations to limit system restore configuration were recommended but that's useless and counterproductive: such recommendations don't allow those older system image backups to be removed, it just covers up the fact they are still there

Anyway I'd like to remove the system image backup that is still intact on my external hard drive if possible
    --- I wish I wouldn't have experimented on how Win 8.1 system image works

Moving on, I am a MR fan and I'll use that going forward

Thanks
    I've also removed Windows Image backups just by deleting the folder - WindowsImageBackup. Are you unable to do so?

But why do you want to delete it, it seems from the above it is the only image you have, unless you plan to make a new one?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Deleting the WindowsImageBackup in the external hard drive are not a problem.
    It’s the System Image Restore Points in System Restore that are not removable on my Windows 8.1 system.

Capture.PNG

You are correct the only image I have is the one from 12/16/2015. I can delete it on my external hard drive but I doubt the System Image Restore Point in System Restore will be removed. I have 3 prior entries 12/8/2015, 12/12/2015 & 12/13/2015 that will never be removed unless I can find a way to remove them sooner or later. Those 3 are the ones I deleted on my external hard drive.
    --- Searching for how to successfully remove System Image Restore Points in System Restore has proved fruitless.

In Windows 7, removing the WindowsImageBackup as well as the System Image Restore Point in System Restore are very easy to do.

I just did a search on the computer and noticed that there is a backup and restore app that can be installed.
    --- Maybe that would have taken care of what I had expected to be accomplished but I didn’t know about experimenting with that procedure back then.
    --- I just used the readily available File History with System Image Backup procedure.

Since I’m a MR person, I’m going to create an up-to-date system image back up and delete the Dec 16 Windows Image backup and live with the residual System Image Restore Points in System Restore.

EDIT: BTW the reason I like to experiment what I consider default programs is because of the members at our local senior center I help when I can
    Last edited by cmptrgy; 2016-03-01 at 17:12.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    Searching for how to successfully remove System Image Restore Points in System Restore has proved fruitless.
    System Image and Restore Points are two different things. Restore Points are saved in the System Volume Information folder.

Thanks
    Not that I am suggesting you remove them from there. I've only removed restore points from within the System Restore application.

Thanks
    CCleaner will delete individual Restore Points. Tools> System Restore.

Jerry

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-03-04),Fascist Nation (2016-03-02),Vincenzo (2016-03-03)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    CCleaner doesn't see those restore point entries.

Windows 7 easily removes them when removing system image backups by using manage disk space I believe it's called.
    But Win8.1 doesn't. I also tried Disk Cleanup More Options to remove all but the most recent restore point and that was also unsuccessful.

That's ok, just another learning event for me. Thanks everyone for your inputes.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    CCleaner doesn't see those restore point entries.

Windows 7 easily removes them when removing system image backups by using manage disk space I believe it's called.
    But Win8.1 doesn't. I also tried Disk Cleanup More Options to remove all but the most recent restore point and that was also unsuccessful.

That's ok, just another learning event for me. Thanks everyone for your inputes.
    This may be too late to help (and may not help anyway): I have had 'orphaned' SR points that wouldn't go. I would simply turn off System Restore, then manually delete the whole SVI folder (you may be asked to confirm once or twice).

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mngerhold For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-03-14)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "This may be too late to help (and may not help anyway): I have had 'orphaned' SR points that wouldn't go. I would simply turn off System Restore, then manually delete the whole SVI folder (you may be asked to confirm once or twice)."
    No it isn't too late: actually I was just getting ready to get back into this topic as I really wish I could get rid of those entries but I haven't seen any actual solutions on any searches even in the Windows 8 online forum.

As I have mentioned "Recommendations to limit system restore configuration were recommended but that's useless and counterproductive: such recommendations don't allow those older system image backups to be removed, it just covers up the fact they are still there"
    --- I could have worded that description better with what I know now but the idea is still the same.

On your recommendation concerning the SVI folder and Vincenso's comment also I'll look into it but I'm not confident into deleting it at this time as I want my System Restore function to be enabled and usable.

Vincenso "I've only removed restore points from within the System Restore application."
    That works fine for me in Windows 7 but I haven't been able to determine how to do so in Windows 8.1 but I'm going to check it out again.
    If it's possible to do so at least I can create an up-to-date system image backup and remove the last one in December.

I suppose I could revert back to the original Windows 8 and upgrade to Windows 8.1 again but I prefer not to do that which unfortunately means the owner will have to live with those entries

EDIT: I suspect those unremovable Restore Point entries are not actually restore points but are pointers to the system image backups and that those pointers do not become removed unless a valid system to remove system image backups is used. I haven't read that anywhere it's just my thought
    Last edited by cmptrgy; 2016-03-14 at 18:38.