2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Post problems with continuous running of hard drive

Hi all,
    My PC has started to "work/run" continuously for several days now, 24 hrs a day! Task Manager does not show anything. Whatever is "working" all the time is causing my PC to run very slowly on other tasks I am working on. I though it might be the backup utility and tried to turn off backup; it said "this did not work look up error code 0x80040304. I can't find anything on error code 0x80040304 that makes sense. I have also analysed and defragmented without any success. However the system shows "33% defragmented" and when I click on "Optimise" it appears to do so but then nothing happens and the 33% remains! {see pic below}.Capture.JPG Also I have run disk clean up without any success. I have also run Reimage but that did not stop it either. I have also run Malware Bytes without success. The PC just keeps on working away doing something but not advising what it is doing. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I can try to find out what is running all the time?
    Casso
    Last edited by casso; 2016-02-29 at 19:00. Reason: add image

Thanks
    Reinstall, like how much time does that take? You have to weigh how much time you may spend trying to fix over just a simple reinstall. Sometimes sh*t happens.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi I agree with johnson!
    If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC, you could use push-button reset to refresh or reset Windows.

Refresh your PC Fixes software problems by reinstalling the OS while preserving the user data, user accounts, and important settings. All other preinstalled customizations are restored to their factory state. In Windows 10, this feature no longer preserves user-acquired Windows apps.

Reset your PC prepares the PC for recycling or for transfer of ownership by reinstalling the OS, removing all user accounts and contents (e.g. data, Classic Windows applications, and Universal Windows apps), and restoring preinstalled customizations to their factory state.

The options above are great for what they are intended for, but you could also do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything other than all installed Windows Updates.

This tutorial will show you how to do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do a repair install of Windows 10.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...e-upgrade.html
    Last edited by holdum333; 2016-02-29 at 22:47.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Monitor with Process Monitor.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-02-29)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You don't need to and can't defrag the system reserved partition.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...n-t-defragment

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you checked Task Scheduler or your Startup menu in Task Manager ?

What is the memory usage in Task Manager ?

I'd give AdwCleaner a run to see what that finds as it can be more adept at finding adware or unwanted programs you may have inadvertently installed.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/adwcleaner.html

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-03-01)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    You don't need to and can't defrag the system reserved partition.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...n-t-defragment

cheers, Paul
    Yes, Paul is correct.