Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Secrets past-due letter!?

Having renewed my newsletter subscription in October 2015, I was surprised to find today in my postal mailbox a past-due notice from Windows Secrets. For those who haven't seen one, here's what it says:

"According to our records your account is more than 45 days past due. Listed below are the items ordered and the amount currently due on this outstanding invoice. Please detach and mail the remittance portion below along with your check or payment information. A return envelope has been enclosed for your convenience. If you have any questions in regards to your account please call <phone number redacted> and I'll be happy to assist you. Note that it is our policy to suspend online access and to withhold shipments to customers whose accounts are in arrears. To ensure continued access to your products please send your payment immediately."

The notice gives an invoice date of 11/30/2015 and a due date of 12/30/2015. Also, my name does not appear in the letter (although it mentions the username of the email address where I receive the digests, I mean newsletters), which begins "Dear Customer".

Rather than expound on all that I find fault with in the above communication, I'll just say that I think it reflects badly on Penton. If I hadn't already decided not to renew, this letter might well have been the last straw.

Added 2016-03-01: I just called Penton's toll-free number and have confirmed that the letter is genuine.
    Last edited by DavidHLevin; 2016-03-01 at 09:15.

Thanks
    I don't think that really came from Windows Secrets/Penton -- it sure doesn't "sound" like 'em.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roland,
    I would attribute the "voice" of the letter, to the management of newsletter accounts having been moved to headquarters or elsewhere distant from the editorial staff. There is ample detail in the letter to demonstrate that it's genuine, such as the toll-free number for Penton's publications and the amount of my subscription. The detachable portion of the letter is addressed to I-NET.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Using snail mail for invoices? How did they get your address?
    I'd be shredding that one.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul,
    I presume that Penton got my mailing address from the checks I've been sending to renew. Also, I just got off the phone with Penton and confirmed that the letter is genuine.

Now I imagine that you're inclined to post, "Still using paper checks?"

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Yup! 'Tis the 21st century y'know.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I write a few checks now and then. It's easier than going to the store and buying a money order!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Do money orders still exist?

cheers, Paul