Lounger
    Thanks

How to create EFI and Recovery partitions on new drive?

Lost a drive in an Acer Aspire R7 that had been upgraded to Win 10.

This machine was running with UEFI secure boot.

I put in a new drive and had to go into legacy mode in the BIOS to reinstall Win10.

Compared this machine to another Aspire R7 and discovered (via admin/disk manager) that there are two small partitions for Recovery and EFI.

Image copy only copied the C drive, so attempting to do a image recovery doesn't fix the problem.

Did some searches, and found some information on creating an EFI partition, but most of it was confusing and some contradicted others. Some also referenced adding a MSR partition.

I can reformat the drive and start over if needed, as all I have done is install Win10.

Does anyone know of step by step instructions to recreate the partitions (and contents) on a new drive and get the C partition formatted so I can reinstall the OS and programs.

I would have thought that somebody would have a boot disk job that would format a disk and set this up, but if there is; I haven't been able to find it.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The issue is you need to restore the boot files to the small partition and if you don't already have a copy...
    The solution is to image the entire disk.
    The work-around is to image the small partitions from the other machine to this one, then restore C:.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

eikelein (2016-03-08),Geezer1 (2016-03-02),wandering one (2016-04-18)

Lounger
    Thanks
    That did the trick.
    Used Images For Windows to image the two small partitions from the other Acer Aspire, and restored to the new hard drive. Had to reinstall Win10, the original install without the EFI partition setup had a missing file that wouldn't fix.
    Was a brand new install, so no big deal.

Thanks.