Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Change save to location

Whenever I want to save a file, and I use save/save as in the application, the first choice that pops up is the "Library" choice. But I don't use it since I know where I want to put my data. I'd like to change the choice to my specific file location, which in this case is my D: drive. That way I won't have to make saving a two-step process just to get to the location I want. So...how do I do that?

Many thanks...........
    Henry S. Winokur
    PC .HLP Computer Consulting -- Supporting family & SOHO Windows users in the DC area since 1990
    Bethesda, MD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Henry,

What application are you talking about here. File save locations are usually set via the application's options/settings/preferences menu.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Open File Manager, expand the Libraries listing, right-click on My Documents, click Properties, then click Location. In the window, put the folder on your D: drive that you want to use for saving your files, then click OK.

From now on, the Library choice will be the choice you want.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Henry,

What application are you talking about here. File save locations are usually set via the application's options/settings/preferences menu.

HTH
    In this particular instance it was Word, but it's a global setting for all of Office (2010). I just checked my Word Default file location and it is set to "D:\" (which is what I set it to when I installed my software--and applies to all of Office). I also changed the locations of all the default data folders (documents, pictures, music, video, etc.) to the D: drive when I set up the computer. But that's not what comes up when I click Save/Save As. It comes up using the "Libraries" listing, not the particular actual location on the drive I selected.

Maybe I need to set File Explorer so it doesn't list Libraries as a possible location?
    Henry S. Winokur
    PC .HLP Computer Consulting -- Supporting family & SOHO Windows users in the DC area since 1990
    Bethesda, MD

Thanks
    I have Office 2010. Both Word and Excel default to Libraries/Documents, not to Libraries. Right now I'm on Windows 7 64-bit, but I don't recall anything different with Windows 7 32-bit.

Thanks
    Try setting your default save location in Word to Libraries/Documents, rather than to D:\<foldername>.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I have Office 2010. Both Word and Excel default to Libraries/Documents, not to Libraries. Right now I'm on Windows 7 64-bit, but I don't recall anything different with Windows 7 32-bit.
    The difference between 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows shouldn't be an issue, both accommodate what program Preferences or Options can set. It is possible to change the Windows default locations to a different drive as shown in #3.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Henry,

I don't know why you are getting that behavior? I have my system setup with the Denouements folder moved to the G: drive and Word set as follows:
    Word Options.PNG

When I choose SaveAs on a NEW document I get:
    Word SaveAs.PNG

Of course when I try SaveAs on an existing document loaded from another location the dialog defaults to the location it was loaded from:
    WordSaveAsOld.PNG

HTH
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2016-03-02 at 10:32.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Who said anything about Win7 32 bit??? Not me. I have 64 bit. But it's not germane in my view. And it's not about where the save/save as default goes to. You can set it to anything you want in Office (File/Options/Save), which I did. I've set it both within the Office options and Windows itself.
    Henry S. Winokur
    Bethesda, MD