New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry "Share Screenshot" Pop-up Keeps Stealing Focus

I can't quite determine what triggers this obtrusive "pop-up" from sliding in from the right edge, but it seems most common when I am navigating dropdown menus - but not consistently. Anyone know how to control this annoyance?

TIA

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Latest "incident" was just to share a web page, but same behavior of sliding in from right, using about 25% of the screen, and stealing mouse focus.

Thanks
    Try running Malwarebytes (www.malwarebytes.org) followed by AdwCleaner (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/)

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Those would remove standard Windows 10 features (as it appears to me...)?

Thanks
    Those two programs would not remove standard Windows 10 features. They remove malware and PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs or as I term it Probable Unwanted Programs)

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Are you using Windows 10 on a tablet?

Do you have a third party screen shot capture program installed?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Are you using Windows 10 on a tablet?

Do you have a third party screen shot capture program installed?

Joe
    This is a Windows 10 2-in-1 (Nextbook 8.9 tablet with keyboard dock).

No 3rd party program involved. I finally figured out what I am dealing with, and that is the "share charm". It can be activated from the keyboard with [Win]+H key combo, but there also seems to be swipe and/or mouse-down methods for activating. The latter is what I seem to do when I do the mouse-down "just right" by accident with drop-down menus sometimes, grrrrr! Maybe the mousing on a twitchy touchpad is the issue (another reason for me to hate them instead of a good ol' Trackpoint!).

Looking for a way to disable the gesture/charms booby trap (thought W10 did away with that as one of those things most people hated about Win 8.x, but apparently not...).
    Last edited by rokky; 2016-03-02 at 18:17.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    This page describes how to change the share settings.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...harms-tutorial

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Paul. However that tutorial IS for Windows 8.x, and does not seem applicable to Windows 10 (at least I cannot find any of the stuff specified...).

Thanks
    See if anything in this article helps: http://www.howtogeek.com/225075/what...w-do-i-use-it/

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    See if anything in this article helps: http://www.howtogeek.com/225075/what...w-do-i-use-it/

Jerry
    Thanks, Jerry.
    That certainly describes what I am dealing with. If I wanted to use the share charm, that would be helpful, but it just pops up and interrupts my process flow at the most inconvenient times, and I have already worked out other ways of sharing that work for me across Linux and Windows, so not really needing this.

I did not spot anything about just disabling that charm, or otherwise controlling how it is activated by gestures. I cannot reply to that HTG topic, so I have started a new one there focused on how to disable the charm ( https://discuss.howtogeek.com/t/how-...re-charm/42997 ) - will post here if they come up with a solution, or over there if someone here does.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I agree with the answer you got over there:

Check your touchpad settings and see if there is an edge action that opens the charms panel. It's usually a swipe from the right edge of the pad toward the center.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I only have settings for "Mouse and Touchpad" that have nothing specific to touchpad, and no gesture settings at all. I suppose that is due to not having a "precision" touchpad on this cheap 2-in-1.

Further observation shows that when this happens, I have just done a sort of "right angle figure 7" about anywhere on or off (to the right of course) the screen, but the share charm does not always appear, so that is a rather inconsistent experience.

I guess I will just have to attribute this to a cheap PC, but being able to turn off that annoying charm would be a reasonable (to me) workaround. Guess I can poke around in the registry to see if anything related to the charm shows up....