Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Moving File History to new drive

I have a new PC with Win10 installed. I had File History on and began to run out of space, so I decided to move it to another drive. However, when I choose “Select Drive”, only the current drive I'm now using for File History appears as an option. I have six drives, but I can only see the one. According to the web, The Missing Manual, and a Microsoft web source, I should be able to select another drive and have Win10 move my File History to it and move on.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On my system, File History only shows the current FH drive and any empty attached or network drives as available. This may be an undocumented limitation of FH.

Thanks
    Where are these six drives? If they are partitions then it won't show them. I think that it doesn't show internal drives either. If they are network drives, you can add them on the 'Add network location' link - it doesn't show those automatically. It should show any external ones which are connected via USB.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have three physical drives and 6 logical drives. I'm currently using an internal drive for my File History. One of my drives is in a SATA Dock connected USB. But, nothing in the documentation that I've read indicates that the FH must be an external drive, including Microsoft's own web page.

As I recall, I could select any drive I wanted when I first set it up. In fact, I'm sure of it. All drives were visible.

I'll be happy to delete all file history off of this drive and start over if I can. How do I do that? I've stopped file history since I'm running out of space.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The SATA dock would probably look like an external drive to Windows. Haven't checked in for WIN10 but for 8.x, the File History drive definitely had to be external or network.

If you have mapped a network drive, it will show up.

Thanks
    OK, I may be assuming it doesn't show internal drives as this is deprecated by all who recommend backups (of any type). As you say it should show any drive that's available, so I don't know why it isn't. I'll try with my wife's backup drive tomorrow to see if it shows that when it's attached.

Just tried it (she wasn't using it) and when I clicked on select a drive it appeared in the list. So that's what should happen.

Are you aware there's a setting under advanced settings, which allows you to specify how long to keep saved versions. One of these is 'until space is needed'.

As far as I'm aware, you can switch FH off, and then just delete the folder where the FH is stored - including the configuration and data folders, then start again, but I've not tried that, so there are no guarantees!
    Last edited by access-mdb; 2016-03-02 at 17:35. Reason: Added more info

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah, but FH is a real time access of a history of your files, so it would not make sense to have it remote. I think it defaulted to my biggest drive when I set it up. I also need to either move it or delete and rebuild it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WSC3 View Post
    Yeah, but FH is a real time access of a history of your files, so it would not make sense to have it remote. I think it defaulted to my biggest drive when I set it up. I also need to either move it or delete and rebuild it.
    I assume you hadn't seen my previous post. What do you mean by remote? I had my FH on a NAS drive (network drive) and was able to save and restore without any problems. I only switched to a desktop drive because of issues with the NAS drive.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, external drives that are in use and have files on them don't show up on my system either. As I said earlier only the current FH drive and an empty network drive show on my system. I am wondering if another factor is how much space is available on your attached drives, though one of my attached USB 3.0 drives has a lot of space on it and it doesn't show up either. Does anyone know if FH needs to have the whole disc and therefore won't show any with files already on it?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No, FH does not have to have the whole disc available. When I set mine up, I could select any drive on my system, physical or logical. The drive it's on was not empty. Few people have empty drives lying around.

I changed the drive setting to "Until space was needed" and it was under 32GB on a 500GB drive and the consumed storage still seemed to be plummeting. I don't know how that works, but with this much of misinformation, I wouldn't trust it.

If we can't solve this, how do I get rid of the FH? I'd like to be able to move it or delete it and recreate it, but if I have to, I'll remove it.

Thanks.

WSC

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Today I tried the option "change drive" and the FH app crashed as it has before. I wonder why? Also, that sequence of options does not recur when I bring up the Backup Options again.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No, FH does not have to have the whole disc available. If we can't solve this, how do I get rid of the FH? I'd like to be able to move it or delete it and recreate it, but if I have to, I'll remove it.
    I thought it offered all available storage, but on just checking, only my internal non-OS SATA drive is shown (plus external USB drives if plugged in). My W10 is installed on a HDD, but I also have an SSD with XP on it (and other partitions) - so why won't it use that?

Possibilities include: the SATA drive is a single partition, or W10 declines to use any drive (and associated partitions) on which it finds an OS?

As for getting rid of it: well, as Access_mdb stated above, just turn off FH (it seems you have to turn it off to change the drive) and delete the folder. I don't think you can copy the files elsewhere, and then expect W10 to pick up the moved location and add to it. So start again, and after its running use the 'more options' button to see which folders are being copied - there may be ones there you don't care about. If there are important files in the current history, copy them elsewhere before you delete the folder (but they won't be seen by FH).

HTH, Martin
    Last edited by mngerhold; 2016-03-03 at 07:14.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    mgerhold: I haven't tried to delete the file, but i didn't want to create a system problem. Maybe once the files are gone, W10 will think I'm starting from scratch and allow me to chose any drive again when setting up FH. Has anyone tried this?

Or better yet, figured out why the move option isn't working?

Thanks to all!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    mgerhold: I haven't tried to delete the file, but i didn't want to create a system problem. Maybe once the files are gone, W10 will think I'm starting from scratch and allow me to chose any drive again when setting up FH. Has anyone tried this?

Or better yet, figured out why the move option isn't working?
    Oh, I think I've tried everything! Turned off fh, cleared all the files, but still only one drive showing - I think it showed more when I first used it. Now I understand that it won't allow one to use the system drive, but I also have an SSD with XP and a data partition on it, and they don't show up. Thinking this might be because it saw an OS on the SSD, I tried various ways of trying to connect to a share (both folders & complete drives), as per this link and that, but W10 was having none of it.

Thinking that maybe my user profile was hosed (I mess about a lot), I created a new profile, and all 3 internal partitions became visible! I have turned on fh, then turned it off again, but for the 'test' account all partitions (apart from drive with W10) show up. I have no idea what is going on. I can only hope its a bug which will get fixed in due course.

Good luck, Martin

PS Other people seem to be getting multiple copies of unchanged files, so perhaps that is where your space is going - have a look.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mngerhold View Post

PS Other people seem to be getting multiple copies of unchanged files, so perhaps that is where your space is going - have a look.
    I had this problem too. I fixed it by switching off sharing in the Homegroup - Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\HomeGroup - click on "change what you're sharing with...."
    and change everything to not shared.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast