5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Special PW edition: Win10 gets an important fix

PATCH WATCH

Special PW edition: Win10 gets an important fix

By Susan Bradley

Browsing resources on a SMB network is an important capability; yet, it took Windows 10 five months to get it right. That's just one of the numerous changes incorporated into a cumulative update released a week ahead of Patch Tuesday.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/special-pw-edition-win10-gets-an-important-fix/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Susan, I am glad you brought this omission by Microsoft to the attention of readers. I have installed 3140743 but regret to say it is still not functioning correctly. There is no way to remove computers from the Homegroup if they cannot be brought online to leave the group. There was in an earlier release of Windows 10 a drop down if you right-clicked on a missing computer which allowed you to remove the computer. It didn't work however and is certainly not there in 1511 + 3140743.
    If you have any way of influencing MS to provide this or as an alternative a way to refresh the Homegroup list with the currently available computers only it would be appreciated by the many small business users I support who will never migrate to Windows 10 until it is fixed.

Thanks
    Thanks for a timely explanation of why I'm experiencing some of my recent problems. I help maintain a lab for seniors with dual booting win 7 and 8 pcs. Some we are upgrading to win 10 others we're leaving in win 7. We are partially through the upgrade process, with some machines able to see the SMB server others not, and others 'joining' the network part way through a teaching session. Now I know a bit of the why and wherefore and feel less frustrated. As well we'll be able to apply the appropriate patches where needed.