New Lounger
    Thanks

Win7 to Win10 Upgrade Image Question

I have Win7 on my desktop and maintain a current image on an external drive. I like Win7 and have no interest in upgrading to Win10. But my desktop is getting old and at some point it will be necessary to buy a new one due to either old age or a fatal heart attack (the computer's, not mine).

It seems that most all new desktops/laptops now come with Win10 pre-installed. What happens with my Win7 image? Is it completely useless and must I start from scratch? What if I installed it on the new Win10 machine? I have read in the newsletter recently that some new machines cannot even run Win7.

Life is getting more difficult these days. Any thoughts out there?

Sam

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Sam,

You don't say what program you used to create your image but if you use a program like Macrium Reflect, EaseUS ToDo Backup, Acronis, etc. you will still be able to MOUNT the image as a series of drives and at least access/copy your data files.

As to loading the image on a new system that depends on several factors the most important being if you have a transferable license for Windows. If you got Windows with your current computer you do NOT have a transferable license, e.g. you can't move it to a new machine. On the other hand if you bought a Retail Version of Windows and installed it yourself you then could legally load it on a new machine as long as you removed it from the old one.

You're next problem would be finding Windows 7 drivers for the new hardware which could be quite a challenge. Imaging programs like Macrium Reflect Premium have a feature that will allow you to move an image to a new computer and attempt to find the appropriate drivers but results are iffy. I've tried it once and it did work for me but YMMV!.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

samcush21 (2016-03-03)

Thanks
    This is one of the primary reasons that some of us openly advocate PURCHASING a copy of your preferred operating system
    independently of your computer's purchase when you first buy your computer, as oppose to settling for the OEM manufacturer's limited offerings.

The OEM licensed OS you have will in all likelihood NOT transfer over, let alone an image of an OEM licensed OS.
    If you have a genuine MS non OEM copy you would be in a far better position to move it to any potentially newer system.

Get ahold of a Windows 7 64 pit Professional copy, depending upon the system you get, and you should be good for at least a few more years.
    You'll still have to do some legwork before hand to ensure the system you buy actually has Windows 7 drivers on offer.

At any rate, the longer you wait the less success you'll have in keeping a Windows 7 system.

I think the best option would be to build your own system at this point. And you won't need to get the
    cutting edge hardware in order to build a very decent and long lasting system. Windows 7 drivers are STILL
    on offer for many many motherboards and a great many other components as well.

Nothing beats building as your options are nearly infinite.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2016-03-03 at 13:18.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

samcush21 (2016-03-06)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Very simple, install VirtualBox (freeware) and reinstall yr version of Win7 within. Yr current key will activate it. Reinstall whatever programs you prefer plus drag and drop any data folder/files you would like to keep. It's similar to a back up but better because once you have a new Win10 machine you can transfer this vm into it. Now you have all yr previous data and can even run Win7 on yr Win10 machine, both operating systems will function at the same time, no reboot required.
    Some folk have XP, Linux, Win95, Win 3.x and even Mac OS X running on Win7 and or Win10.
    You can even use yr external drive but I've no experience in that direction.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rompy For This Useful Post:

samcush21 (2016-03-10)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Your current W7 key cannot be transferred to the VM if it's an OEM key - sticker on the machine.

cheers, Paul

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

samcush21 (2016-03-10)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OEM - yes that's correct.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rompy For This Useful Post:

samcush21 (2016-03-16)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Last year, I was looking to upgrade my Win 7 x64 Home Premium to the Pro version, but all I could ever find online were OEM versions for sale.

As MS no longer provide Win 7 anything, does anyone have a link/source to a retail version.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

samcush21 (2016-03-16)

Thanks
    Here is some helpful information if you are interested in purchasing Windows 7.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

samcush21 (2016-03-16)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by samcush21 View Post
    I have Win7 on my desktop and maintain a current image on an external drive. I like Win7 and have no interest in upgrading to Win10. But my desktop is getting old and at some point it will be necessary to buy a new one due to either old age or a fatal heart attack (the computer's, not mine).

It seems that most all new desktops/laptops now come with Win10 pre-installed. What happens with my Win7 image? Is it completely useless and must I start from scratch? What if I installed it on the new Win10 machine? I have read in the newsletter recently that some new machines cannot even run Win7.

Life is getting more difficult these days. Any thoughts out there?

Sam
    Here are a bunch of brand-new Dell computers which come with Windows 7 installed.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2016-03-16 at 10:11.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

samcush21 (2016-03-16)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Here is some helpful information if you are interested in purchasing Windows 7.
    Thanks Jim, but regarding purchasing a Win 7 Pro install, the article only affirms what I'd already found in that the vendors only have OEM versions.

I'm a bit wary of those as I came across a Poster on another forum where their install by a "tech shop" kept coming up as not genuine and when contacting MS, the Poster found the key had been blocked and strangely enough, the tech shop had gone out of business with no means of contacting them.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    See Windows lifecycle fact sheet. Scroll down. Windows 7 end of retail sales was October 31, 2013. Although some retailers may have had a supply for a while but in general you could only get OEM versions after that. OEM end of sales is October 31, 2016.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    To be safe, I would need to buy a new Win 7 machine before that date Joe, as MS have put a block on any Win 7 machines sold by vendors after that date - courtesy of MrJim's link.

As I already have two Win 7 x64 Home Premium laptops, a 3rd one regardless of the Win 7 version, isn't desirable.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    See Windows lifecycle fact sheet. Scroll down. Windows 7 end of retail sales was October 31, 2013. Although some retailers may have had a supply for a while but in general you could only get OEM versions after that. OEM end of sales is October 31, 2016.

Joe
    Well. I guess I'll start saving my money, so that I can buy a new Windows 7 machine before Oct 31, 2016. (My current machine is pretty lame and old.)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Win7 will still be available for many years after this on eBay.