Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Windows Mail in Windows 10

Trying it now but there doesn't appear to be any way to import email addresses fro Outlook. Is this correct or am I missing something?

Thanks
    I decided to use your question as a motivation to try the Mail App, which I've been avoiding because I hear it is not yet ready for prime time. I added my hotmail account to it, and then found they did a good job of hiding where the contacts are. It turns out they are stored in the People app, with no obvious way to get there from the Mail app.

I opened the People app, and could not find a way a way to import contacts. Doing some research, I am unable to find a way to import a file that has contacts in it. Seems like you can only add accounts and the contacts in that account will come along. (or add them one at a time)
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...people-app-faq

Are your contacts in Outlook or Outlook.com?
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 2016-03-05 at 11:08.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzmag View Post
    Trying it now but there doesn't appear to be any way to import email addresses fro Outlook. Is this correct or am I missing something?
    I've had success using Microsoft Office/Outlook's Export feature to export the contacts to a .csv [Comma Separated Values] file which can be used for the import in other programs or simply used with a spreadsheet program such as Excel, QuattroPro, LibreOffice, etc.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    I decided to use your question as a motivation to try the Mail App, which I've been avoiding because I hear it is not yet ready for prime time. I added my hotmail account to it, and then found they did a good job of hiding where the contacts are. It turns out they are stored in the People app, with no obvious way to get there from the Mail app.

I opened the People app, and could not find a way a way to import contacts. Doing some research, I am unable to find a way to import a file that has contacts in it. Seems like you can only add accounts and the contacts in that account will come along. (or add them one at a time)
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...people-app-faq

Are your contacts in Outlook or Outlook.com?
    My contacts are in Microsoft Office Outlook.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    I've had success using Microsoft Office/Outlook's Export feature to export the contacts to a .csv [Comma Separated Values] file which can be used for the import in other programs or simply used with a spreadsheet program such as Excel, QuattroPro, LibreOffice, etc.
    There is no "Import" option in W10 Mail. Why did MS even bother?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzmag View Post
    Why did MS even bother?
    Categorize in "WTF, Microsoft?".

This may be more trouble than it is worth to you, but you can export the contacts from Outlook, upload them into a webmail account you create (I would use outlook.com but I guess any one would would work, gmail or yahoo) then configure that account in Windows 10 Mail.

Then for your actual mailing, you would use your original email account, the webmail account would just be harmlessly sitting there, its only purpose was to bring your contacts into the People App via the Mail App.
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 2016-03-06 at 13:48.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If your email account is a outlook.com (including Hotmail, msn, live) or Exchange account your contacts should be automatically added to the People app. If not you need to add the account to the People app.

Joe