Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot search "This PC"

File Explorer works as expected on individual drives, folders even local NAS (using upper right search box) but will not show any results or activity when "This PC" is highlighted.
    I expected this to be similar to "My Computer" in Win 7 where I could search all files at once. Would I have to turn on Cortana or some other Microsoft "Feature" just to search with keyboard & mouse?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Should work fine. Are you sure you are searching in My PC and not by accident searching quick access which could be your default setting when you hit file explorer?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Maple, hello.
    I do not have "This PC " anymore as I renamed it to this machine, ie : Acer W-10 but a right click on it gives me some information, in this list I see C:\ and a double click on it reveals all that is in the HD, file-folder -wise.

Not much has changed since de DOS days, you know, or were you not part of the operation then ? Another exemple, Alt & F4, an old DOS command, try it and see what it gives you, forget the mouse a little, the keyboard is still connected, you know.

All fine wishes. Jean.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pomeranced View Post
    Should work fine. Are you sure you are searching in My PC and not by accident searching quick access which could be your default setting when you hit file explorer?
    Hi pomeranced -
    I removed or hid the Quick Access entry that was in the navigation pane some time ago-didn't fit my organizing style.
    When I select 'This PC' in the left pane of File Explorer, I see the 6 'windows folders', my disk drives and network locations in the right pane. But when I type something in the explorer search box there is no "working on it..." or other signs of searching activity - very strange. I think it was working at some time previously though.
    Last edited by mapletrail; 2016-03-14 at 16:36.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh I remember the DOS days! I knew every command in BASIC back then too before the brain cells got tired.
    Alt F4 gives me shutdown options in win 10?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah! ah! Mable, you have lost the DOS curiosity.

>>> Alt F4 gives me shutdown options in win 10? <<<

Use the down/up arrow yes, they are still there, and you will see more options, I use Hibernate all the time, one UP arrow does it.

All fine wishes. Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Have you run SFC /SCANNOW?

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Have you run SFC /SCANNOW?

Joe
    Hi Joe -
    SFC /SCANNOW 'did not find any integrity violations'.
    Since I have only a moderately customized Win 10 installation, it's hard to believe some others haven't run into this problem by now...?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Maple, hello. Here, I go to File Explorer, I two-click on This PC, it shows me all that is on it, I two-click on the HD called : name (C) and again two-click on this HD and I get to see all that I think you are trying to see. Can you confirm that this is really what is not working on your computor.

Did you really get SFC /SCANNOW to run ? Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried to Reset the system. Start | Settings | Update & Security | Recovery | Reset this PC (Get Started button). The select "Keep my files".

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps I wasn't clear about the Win 10 File Explr SEARCH BOX (upper right). I am not trying to view a list of folders on my PC, which I would do just like you say - I am typing a word(s) into this search box so that FE will look thru all drives & folders & nooks & crannies to find the item that would take me years to find by manually looking in literally thousands of hiding places, as in SEARCH! My Precious and earn once again my appreciation for such a wonderful tool that I use often. Or did use before FE got cantankerous.
    And yes I've run SFC twice now from Admin Command Prompt and found no problems.
    Regarding Reset the System I was hoping for a 'milder' fix - even tho I understand I can keep my files, other things get changed also, right?

I haven't tried Restore to a Previous Time yet, I could try that later...thanks to all for listening
    Last edited by mapletrail; 2016-03-08 at 22:04.

Thanks
    Personally if I'm searching for a file then I use 'Everything'. It's much faster and better than FE's search. You just open the app and type in the file name you're looking for and it shows all files with that string, so the more you type, the fewer are shown. You can also use wildcards as well.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a similar problem a few months ago and posted my trials and tribulations on this site, but I can't find it now. My issue was that certain folders could be found sometime and sometimes not. Basically what I had to do was to wipe out the index and let it rebuild.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried the search troubleshooter? Right click Start button, click on Control Panel, change the display of the Control Panel to large or small icons, click on "Troubleshooting", click on "System and Security", click on "Search and Indexing".

If the troubleshooter does not fix it, try rebuilding the search index. Once again start Control Panel, switch to large or small icons, click on "Indexing Options". Click the "Modify" button if you wish to change which folders are indexed. Click the "Advanced" button, click the "Rebuild" button in the Troubleshooting section.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Search Troubleshooter was unable to help me so I rebuilt the search index but all is the same.
    I Restored to a Previous Time but couldn't go back too far or my paid-for tax program would be uninstalled.
    All the other folders and drives produce search activity even if only "nothing matches your search".

Just what is "This PC" anyway? It must be a special windows folder of course. But how many readers use it for a search origin? Well maybe I'll have to give it a rest until someone else has the same problem.