New Lounger
    Thanks

Audio: speaker set-up gone haywire

I have back and front audio out panels, the front with a headphone icon for the green jack. The PC is 3 years old and audio has worked perfectly fine. I replaced my old little stereo speakers after a power surge last week. Although their power was plugged into a urge-protected strip, the power was no longer working; they were about 10 years old, so I simply replaced them with some 5W Logitechs.
    After plugging in the new ones, the rear jack was not producing any sound, but the speakers worked if I plugged them into the front jack. Device manager shows all devices working fine, as do all the relevant Properties dialogues in control Panel/Sound.
    I spent a long time last night in the Realtek HD audio manager, trying every configuration I could, includng disabling the various ditial options in the manager, different Advanced configuration combinations, etc. I finally found that I could get both rear and front (with headphones in the latter) jacks working if I switched to quadrophonic, rather than stereo. However, some audio files (.wav) produce barely any volume over the speakers (rear), although they can be heard on the head phones. Also, overall volume levels seem generally low, despite high settings. Attachment shows configuration details.
    Any clue as to what could be causing this, and how I can get back to my happy stereo set-up of before?

Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulowin View Post
    .... I finally found that I could get both rear and front (with headphones in the latter) jacks working if I switched to quadraphonic, rather than stereo. However, some audio files (.wav) produce barely any volume over the speakers (rear), although they can be heard on the head phones. Also, overall volume levels seem generally low, despite high settings. ....
    The headphones work fine volume wise in the rear out?

The headphones are not plugged into the front at the same time you are trying to get sound out the back speakers are they?

I presume the volume slider on the rear out is not down all the way?

You don't say what make and model of PC you have (if using onboard audio), but are you sure you are plugged into the rear output jack (usually lime green; use a flashlight)? I find the fact it "works" on quad interesting (sometimes a blue connector on 4 (back) channel out). But color codes are unfortunately not a hard a standard so the maker may have something different on a motherboard or even a sound card.

For now, remove AMD's HDMI Audio driver (assuming you are not using the HDMI output from the AMD card as audio out. Actually if you don't use it I'd leave the driver out as I find it buggy.

Make sure if using onboard audio that the BIOS Menu has no rear out off active.

Of course another possibility if the speakers were plugged into the rear is the power surge took out the rear out as well.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2016-03-06 at 21:08.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Stereo only works on the front output. Setting quadrophonic to use the rear output tells the DSP to create 4 channels from 2, which may or may not work.

Low volume may just be the speakers - I run mine through a stereo amp driving proper speakers so setting the volume is no issue.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Stereo only works on the front output. Setting quadrophonic to use the rear output tells the DSP to create 4 channels from 2, which may or may not work.

Low volume may just be the speakers - I run mine through a stereo amp driving proper speakers so setting the volume is no issue.
    It still would require a back out port for the rear L-R speakers and depending upon the "quad" implementation would either present the rear outs at the same volume (original quad) or at very low volume to generate reflection information (modern surround 4-channel). If the OP plugged into that port then low volume is what would be expected.

5W Logitech speakers are extremely unlikely to have high impedance which is why I didn't bother inquiring as to the specific model.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2016-03-07 at 12:44. Reason: removed extraneous information