2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Disk Management/format question

The attached screen shot of the Disk Management screen leaves me with questions. My aim in building this system was that C: is an SSD with Windows and Programs and E: is a 3 TB WD internal drive for files. I have a Seagate F: and Toshiba G: USB External drives attached. Please review the attachment for Drive E: and explain what I did to have only 1654 GB available on a 2794 GB drive. Shouldn't the capacity number that is circled be the same or close to the 2794 GB number shown in the upper left corner? Where is my 1140 GB? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Paul,

It appears that you have copied the Seagate drive's partition onto the Western Digital 3Tb drive and that is where you're 1140 GB are hiding. You'll notice Disk 0 that is a Physical Drive that holds 2 Partitions E: WD & F: Segate GoFlex (ignore the size values as they are just part of your disk label).

Unfortunately we can't see what Disk 2 is as you have not resized the upper window to show that information.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    What RG said.

The full capacity of Disk 0 (which is your WD 3TB drive) is 2794.52GB. I would suggest you unplug the USB drives, then start over on the 3TB drive with a format.

I always recommend full format (uncheck "Quick format") for formatting any drive. It takes longer, but every sector is actually checked. A quick format only writes the Partition Boot Sector, Master File Table, sets up the Bitmap and Logfile and a couple more meta data file system structures; it doesn't physically locate and confirm each and every sector on the drive. A full format takes longer, but it only needs to be done once.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You have E: and F: on that disk, so the space is in use.
    You may be able to delete F: and expand E: into the space. Backup F: first.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Disk Mgt/format question

Quote Originally Posted by paulh7436 View Post
    The attached screen shot of the Disk Management screen leaves me with questions. My aim in building this system was that C: is an SSD with Windows and Programs and E: is a 3 TB WD internal drive for files. I have a Seagate F: and Toshiba G: USB External drives attached. Please review the attachment for Drive E: and explain what I did to have only 1654 GB available on a 2794 GB drive. Shouldn't the capacity number that is circled be the same or close to the 2794 GB number shown in the upper left corner? Where is my 1140 GB? Thanks!
    Thank you all for the replies and I was away for a few days and unable to respond. Attached is a expanded screenshot that I hope answers some questions. Do I understand it correctly that if:
    1. back-up the E:drive
    2. unplug all external drives
    3. full format E:
    4. restore files to E:

That should work? THANKS AGAIN!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Paul,

I think we need to change the terms we are using. E: is not a Drive it is a Partition. Disk (drive) 0 houses both E: and F: Partitions.

Thus, backing up E:, Formatting E:, Restoring E: won't change a thing!

If you are trying to get access to the Full 3Tb of Drive 0 as a single Partition (drive letter) you need to:

1. Backup E: and F: to separate files or directories (Unless the files on F: are still also on your External GoFlex Drive then only E
    2. Delete both Partitions E: & F:
    3. Create a new Single Partition using all the space on Drive 0.
    4. Make sure the new partition is assigned the Disk Letter E: ( if that is what you want).
    5. Restore the files from the E: backup to the new partition.

The above instructions will work with windows disk management.

If you have a program like Partition Wizard Mini-Tool Free Edition or EaseUS Partition Master Free you can simplify the process of steps 2-5 to:
    1. Delete the F: Partition
    2. Expand the E: Partition into the freed up space on the drive.
    3. Done.

Note you ALWAYS want to do the backups when messing with partitions. The listed programs will allow you to keep the files on the E: partition so you don't have to restore, unless something goes awry thus the need for the backups.

HTH
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2016-03-10 at 08:55.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs