Thanks

Unhappy Win 10 does not remember USB drive letter

I have a Win 10 laptop that has no internal CD drive. When I first insert a USB memory stick, Windows assigns it to Drive D:. I then go into Computer Management / Disk Management and reassign it to E:. (I do this so a batch file that backs up files to E: will work.) But later, after the computer has been powered down and restarted, I insert the same USB memory stick and Windows assigns it D:, not E:. This behavior is intermittent. Sometimes it remembers that the memory stick is E: and sometimes it does not. What is the cause of this issue and how can I cure it?

Oddly, I have a USB external hard drive (not memory stick) that I have assigned to P:, and Windows always remembers it just fine.

I have just installed a utility called USBDLM (USB Drive Letter Manager) in hopes that it will fix the problem, but why is there a problem in the first place? Why won't Windows 10 remember my drive letters? Is there a way to fix it without using a 3rd-party utility?

More information: USBDLM does not seem to do anything. If I put the USB stick in the left-side USB port, Windows sets it to D:. If I put it in the right-side port, Windows sets to E:. What is going on here?
    Last edited by bmeacham; 2016-03-06 at 20:32. Reason: additional information
    Bill Meacham
    bmeacham98 AT yahoo.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Bill,

You have to modify the configuration file for USBDLM to make it do things the way you want. See the help pages.

Here's my Config file for an example:
    Code:
    ; This is the for .INI file for USBDLM
    ; Create a new USBDLM.INI or rename it to USBDLM.INI

; More informations in the help file USBDLM_ENG.CHM

;------------------------------ Settings -------------------------------------
    [Settings]

; here you can let USBDLM remove driveletters of cardreaders as long
    ; as there is no media present
    NoMediaNoLetter=1

; here you can let USBDLM write a logfile, default is _USBDLM.LOG in
    ; the root of the Windows drive
    WriteLogFile=0
    LogFile=
    LogLevel=3

;---------------------------- BalloonTips -------------------------------------
    [BalloonTips]

; this activates balloon tips and sets their show duration in milliseconds
    Enabled=1
    Timeout=6000

; here you can define drive letter that shall never be used for new local drives.
    ; configure here your network, subst and TrueCrypt drive letters here but no local drives!
    [NetworkLetters]
    Letter1=P
    Letter2=V
    Letter3=

; Letters configured in section [StaticLetters] are not touched by USBDLM. Thus you can still
    ; assign (some) USB drive letters by means of the Windows Disk Management without USBDLM
    ; reverting your changes
    [StaticLetters]
    Letter1=
    Letter9=
    Letters=

;-------------------------- the drive letters ---------------------------------

; here you can define new default drive letter for USB drives
    [DriveLetters]
    Letter1=X
    Letter2=Y
    Letter3=Z

; many other options are documented in the Help files
    You'll find a sample file in C:\Program Files\USBDLM that is a great starting place.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bmeacham View Post
    <snip> but why is there a problem in the first place?
    Good question. By default, it will assign drive letters starting with the first available, in your case D: You can assign a drive letter to a particular device and it should remember that as long as the device name remains the same. However I think that's dependent on USB Port. If you plug something into a different port, it can see that is a new, different device. Is that what is happening to you?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    If you plug something into a different port, it can see that is a new, different device. Is that what is happening to you?
    Yes. If I plug the USB stick into the port on the right side, Windows assigns it drive E:. If on the left, Windows assigns drive D:. I can live with that, I guess, but it would be nice to have Windows always assign E:.
    Bill Meacham
    bmeacham98 AT yahoo.com

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bmeacham View Post
    Yes. If I plug the USB stick into the port on the right side, Windows assigns it drive E:. If on the left, Windows assigns drive D:. I can live with that, I guess, but it would be nice to have Windows always assign E:.
    I see the same issue with USB Thumb/Flash drives so I use a Label to identify each one I use. I do not have the same problem with 3 USB HDDs [Hard Disk Drive] as the drive letters assigned in Disk Management tend to stick regardless of the ports used and through the boot process.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you plug it into one and it remembers it as D: but a different one does not, then try changing the drive letter on both and see if it remembers that.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You have to feed your computer roll-mops because that's brain food. The computer is having trouble remembering and a good feed of pickled herring is just the thing to get it back in the game!