Star Lounger
    Thanks

Secure File Synching to OneDrive

Greetings All

I am exploring various possibilities for keeping sensitive documents like bank/credit card statements, tax documents, etc. in the cloud. Currently I store all of these kinds of documents in a VeraCrypt file container that I sized at 8 Gb. This file gets backed up to a variety of local locations plus via encrypted flash drives that are stored in a safe deposit box. None of the backups are in the cloud. An 8 Gb chunk takes forever to synch.

As a test platform I am using the Cryptsynch program to store some non sensitive files on MS OneDrive. CryptSynch creates encrypted files using 7 Zip and stores them in a designated folder. For my purpose the designated folder is OneDrive which is an integral part of WIN 10. OneDrive then synchs itself. This process seems to be working. A sampling of the encrypted files both on my computer and online opens the 7 ZIP program, asking for the password. If I'm reading the situation correctly, anyone who happened to break into my OneDrive account would need the password I entered into CryptSynch to access the document.

If that works, the next question is what do about my sensitive documents. The previous illustration has the core files in an unencrypted state, which subsequently become encrypted wth 7 ZIP using Cryptsynch. My sensitive files are all in a VeraCrypt file container. I can't just leave them sitting unencrypted in case someone steals my computer. I'm wondering how it might work to open the VeraCrypt file container, then create a synch pair using it and OneDrive. The 2nd part of the pair would be encrypted by 7 ZIP, and the first part of the pair would disappear when I dismounted the file container. Does this plan seem viable?

Perhaps there's a better way to accomplish this. Until I'm pretty confident in a method's security, I'm hesitant to put anything on the Web that an identity thief could use. Thanks.

Casey H.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The fundamental problem with encryption is that at some point, there may be an unencrypted file, which you need to work with. When you open that file, a temporary file may also be created. Encryption programs may not erase the original file or any temp files, so if your computer is stolen, your data is at risk.

If your only concern is the data you are putting on a cloud drive, then encrypting that would be reasonable. If you want more than that, you may need to expand your plans.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gsmith-plm For This Useful Post:

Casey H (2016-03-13)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. I've been gone awhile. I appreciate the input.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Why not open the VC drive and then use CryptSync to sync direct from the drive to OneDrive? Then the file is never left unencrypted - unless the 7zip process fails and leaves a temp file on disk, but you can fix that by using the VC disk as the temp directory.

cheers, Paul