2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

UEFI/BIOS access fails

How do I access the UEFI/BIOS in WinX?
    I always did it on bootup with F2 depressed and it no longer works that way.
    Tried F12 and escape but no luck.
    I get a blue screen momentarily (flash) just before the view from the cave that occurs before the login screen.

Thanks
    Click the Start menu and select Settings.
    Select Update and Security.
    Click Recovery.
    Under Advanced startup, click Restart now. The system will restart and show the Windows 10 boot menu.
    Select Troubleshoot.
    Choose Advanced options.
    Select UEFI Firmware Settings.
    Click Restart to restart the system and enter UEFI (BIOS).

Thanks
    I believe that holding shift whilst clicking restart within WinX will allow you to access the UEFI/BIOS as you used to.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Shift Restart offers the restart menu and you can choose UEFI/BIOS or external boot device etc.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all but my situation is that I had been able to get to the point where I could get the screen for opting for access to the UEFI/BIOS by using Shift Key then pressing the ON/OFF button switch on the keyboard 2 days ago
    (with witness) and now this no longer works.
    Also I was once able (win 8.1) to get to the UEFI/BIOS directly with F2 and the ON/OFF switch and F12 plus ON.
    Is the lack of direct access to UEFI/BIOS a function of upgrading to Win10?
    If win crashes may need to be able to get to the UEFI/BIOS without access to Windows OS.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Try a power off during boot 3 times - hold down the power button. Then W10 will start in recovery mode and allow you to access different things.

cheers, Paul

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

spark55 (2016-03-11)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello spark.

There is no such thing as a BIOS/UEFI. What is there is an access to preboot (?) via BIOS or UEFI, these are two different birds. Sure, in one's mind, you achieve the same thing but there are quite a few differences in doing so. As it is preboot, it has nothing to do with W-10 or any OS, methinks !

I got my neck out. Jean.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @Paul T: Tried ON/OFF switch even with 3 quick represses and with a single press of it cannot see a "power" icon to click 3 times. I have a Toshiba C55-A which may be different from what U have.
    Still wondering why I could hold ESC or F2 (in the non-function mode) while turning on and holding either key with Win 8.1 and now these hardware seem to have been dis-enfranchised.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spark55 View Post
    @Paul T: Tried ON/OFF switch even with 3 quick represses and with a single press of it cannot see a "power" icon to click 3 times. I have a Toshiba C55-A which may be different from what U have.
    Still wondering why I could hold ESC or F2 (in the non-function mode) while turning on and holding either key with Win 8.1 and now these hardware seem to have been dis-enfranchised.
    What Paul meant was wait until Windows starts to boot and then hold the power button on until the PC powers off to kill the boot. Repeat this process twice and then you should see the recovery menu on the next boot.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Hello spark.

There is no such thing as a BIOS/UEFI. What is there is an access to preboot (?) via BIOS or UEFI, these are two different birds. Sure, in one's mind, you achieve the same thing but there are quite a few differences in doing so. As it is preboot, it has nothing to do with W-10 or any OS, methinks !

I got my neck out. Jean.
    Actually UEFI allows the OS to interact with the pre-boot settings, and vice-versa. That's how the steps listed in post #2 are able to work (most of the time).
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows