Lounger
    Thanks

Non destructive reinstall-Win 10

Windows 10 has been a difficult experience for me with several (hopefully) smaller concerns still unresolved. I wonder if Fred has put together any non destructive reinstall programs for windows 10. More than any before I think it would be very appreciated but perhaps it is too immature to do that just yet. SFC /scannow is even more confusing to track down so its no help. What do you think, Fred? Thanks in advance. -Motiger

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi! I'm not Fred, but Shawn Brink has a great tutorial that you might find helpful!
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...e-upgrade.html

If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC, you could use push-button reset to refresh or reset Windows.

Refresh your PC Fixes software problems by reinstalling the OS while preserving the user data, user accounts, and important settings. All other preinstalled customizations are restored to their factory state. In Windows 10, this feature no longer preserves user-acquired Windows apps.

Reset your PC prepares the PC for recycling or for transfer of ownership by reinstalling the OS, removing all user accounts and contents (e.g. data, Classic Windows applications, and Universal Windows apps), and restoring preinstalled customizations to their factory state.

The options above are great for what they are intended for, but you could also do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything other than all installed Windows Updates.

This tutorial will show you how to do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do a repair install of Windows 10.

Thanks
    It's important to note that the process suggested in post #2 above does NOT necessarily save programs/software installed by yourself (such as MS Word , Photoshop, etc.

In order to save EVERYTHING, you must select the option to do an in-place re-install (re-upgrade) of Windows 10: "Upgrade this PC Now".
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    I would recommend a full clean install for those with issues after performing an upgrade install to WX from
    any previous OS.

3rd party software & drivers tend to produce the lion's share of all the negative issues, especially with upgrade installs.

So go ahead and do what you need to do to attempt resolution, by working from least invasive means to more,
    but keep in mind you may be heading in the general direction of full clean install.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi I admit I have not tried a in place repair install of W10. I just know that Shawn Brink is one of the best known computer techs in the business. Shawn says in the tutorial that only the windows up dates will be lost. There's always a chance you will lose other things. That's way you always need to use a 3rd party image program like Macrium Reflect! W10 is fairly new and it has a lot of ways to recover from mistakes. I agree with Clint! "Start with the least invasive first"

Thanks
    For what it's worth: Some time ago, when experimenting with Windows 10, after making a full system backup, I have tried Windows 10 Restore and also Reset. In both cases ALL of my installed programs were removed. (including MS Office 2013, desktop version, Norton Internet Security, Dragon Naturally Speaking 2013, iTunes, etc, etc, etc)). My data was left untouched.

Performing an in-place upgrade to an existing Windows 10 installation (selecting "Keep personal files and Apps" when starting the Upgrade) with all my programs and data in place resulted in no changes whatsoever, EXCEPT a requirement to Re-Activate my Office suite (weird, but easily done in my case).
    Last edited by petesmst; 2016-03-15 at 06:11. Reason: Corrected typos
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to petesmst For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-03-17)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to each and every one of you. I did eventually go with Shawn's suggestion and while I didn't lose anything I still don't have several of the pluses windows ten is supposed to provide so I went back to my last/best image and I will just stick with it. I probably have a bad or incongruous piece of software and that is blocking the search capability and the page that is supposed to open when I left click on the start window. Perhaps I can poke around and find what my PC doesn't like and fix it if I can find time. I sure did like window 8.1 and Windows 7 before it. Have a great day ya'll.

Thanks
    I am intrigued: What "pluses windows ten (is) supposed to provide" were missing?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Rather than a multiple item list of what does not work, please start individual threads for each problem. Threads get muddled very quickly when there is more than one problem being worked.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just did a successful "repair install" on my system. It corrected a problem and left all apps and files in tact. I didn't use a tutorial but simply used suggestions I found via Google. First and most important is to use the same USB/DVD used to make the original installation. I used a USB created with MS's Media Creation Tool. Second, the setup must be run within the current Windows OS while it's running. During the process, you will have the opportunity to instruct the install to keep all installed programs and files.

Of course, do image your OS. W10 is still a new OS and who knows what could go wrong.

The tutorial furnished in another post here (http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...e-upgrade.html) will give you more info.
    Last edited by buzzmag; 2016-03-24 at 15:13.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to buzzmag For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-03-24)