New Lounger
    Thanks

windows update doesn't download files [solved]

I have a Gateway netbook LT21 running Windows 7 Starter SP1. Since sometime in Sept whenever I try and do a Windows update I get all the screens and bells and whistle but nothing actually downloads. This only became of interest when I went to try and update the netbook to Windows 10 as an experiment. The update failed. When I did 10 as a clean install it worked but, of course, Microsoft doesn't recognize my purchase code and so it won't register. [a known problem]
    I decided to go back and have a try as recommended where you bring your compute up to date with all patches before trying the update. Back to the problem as stated. No updates occurs.
    Additional info. The machine is dual booting with Linux which is what I have been using when I used this machine. [Faster more efficient] The machine is 32 bit 1 Gb memory. And has 56 GB free on the Windows partition.
    thanks
    macglenn
    Last edited by glenn questions; 2016-03-08 at 20:08.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Try the "Fix problems with Windows Update" at Control Panel, Troubleshooting first.

Then try System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 (KB947821) [October 2014]
    Last edited by BruceR; 2016-03-08 at 16:26.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Try the "Fix problems with Windows Update" at Control Panel, Troubleshooting first.

Then try System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 (KB947821) [October 2014]
    Thanks BruceR, I had tried the Troubleshooting but to no avail. However, what I discovered on further investigation was that it wasn't that the updates weren't download but that the usual visuals to tell you they were had disappeared. The usual x% of 100 % signs had stopped moving. The only way I knew anything was happening was that the Avast icon was rotating which meant that Avast was also slowing everything down by virus checking it first. So, only 77 more updates to go! [I did say I don't use the Win partition much]
    However, thanks for the link to the System Readiness Tool. I had remembered there was such a thing but couldn't remember the name. If it works, and allows a normal update of Win 10, I will raise a cup of coffee in your honour.
    thanks
    macglenn