Lounger
    Thanks

Two system backups to one external HDD ok?

Following advice elsewhere on the forum I intend to use Aomei back up to do a full system backup on my two 8.1 PCs.
    This is to supplement my regular monthly back ups of all files etc via the Windows file back up (on two dedicated HDDs) and will only be every few months, plus when I upgrade to Windows 10.
    Question....I would like to back up two 120GB SSDs to one 500GB external HDD....is this OK or do they have to be saved on separate drives?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    EJB,

I'm not familiar with Aomei but I do this all the time with Macrium Reflect. I just have a different directory for each physical device (e.g. Computer). I see no reason why Aomei shouldn't have this feature. You could also just distinguish them by using different file names for the backups.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

EJB986 (2016-03-10),voxov (2016-04-28)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EJB986 View Post
    Following advice elsewhere on the forum I intend to use Aomei back up to do a full system backup on my two 8.1 PCs.
    I've never heard of that so you might want to check with whoever is recommending it.

If it doesn't create discreet image files like other programs do, then perhaps you can partition the 500GB drive in two and use one for each machine.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gsmith-plm For This Useful Post:

EJB986 (2016-03-10)

Thanks
    I commonly backup both my main desktop system & laptop to a single external drive with MR, but I know nothing of the backup app you refer to.
    So do some homework and read up on your chosen back up program's specifics.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

EJB986 (2016-03-10)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Aomei backs up to files, just like the other backup programs. You can put those files in any location.
    Use a name for the backup that describes the machine you are backing up.

cheers, Paul

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

EJB986 (2016-03-10)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the comments, I did think it was OK but just wanted confirmation

I 'found' Aomei' on another thread....http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...HDDs-installed

Chose it instead of Macrium as it seems to be a little easier to use!

Thanks
    I've used Aomei to backup several computers on one external HDD. All I did was create a folder, using the name of each computer for the folder's name, then used Aomei to do a full image backup of each different computer in the folder for that particular computer. Restoring the image has worked flawlessly for me personally, no matter which computer I restored to. Like you, I find Aomei very easy to use.

I only due full backups, not any incremental backups. I also leave the external HDD UNCONNECTED to any computer so I will not get it infected. That particular HDD remains unconnected to anything until I use it to backup my data (use FreeFileSync) or creating a new full image backup (once every 6 months for me). I usually save 2 or 3 of the full backup images on the HDD before deleting the older ones.

Hope this helps...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to akjudge For This Useful Post:

EJB986 (2016-03-11)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, have finally taken a 'System Backup' which included 'System Reserved' and 'C' the SSD.
    I have separate HDDs that I use to back up the 'D' storage drives more regularly with the Windows programme.

One final (?) question please......the space used on the SSD was 63 GB but on the back up drive it only indicates 43 GB......however when it was copying I am sure it said 'copying' 63 GB.

Have burnt a bootable DVD which also has AOMEI on it.

PS. Back up drives are always stored elsewhere.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Almost all imaging software will create a compressed image which uses less disk space than the drive or partition being imaged (the source) does.
    So your 43 GB image of a 63 GB original source is certainly OK.

RockE

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RockE For This Useful Post:

EJB986 (2016-03-10)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    And image software usually ignores paging and dump files, which can be very big.

cheers, Paul

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

EJB986 (2016-03-11)