New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows update Win 7 Pro 64-bit

Been having issues with Windows Update hanging. Think I have that fixed.
    So...I have a few important updates to install, but the "More information" is never very enlightening unless you're a complete IT geek(no offense).
    A number of security updates address an issue with win32k.sys

The problems that I sense are associated with this have not been a problem for me. I hate to download unnecessary updates because the bloat gets overwhelming and my system is slow enough as it is. I would love a resource for interpreting what these updates do and what software has to be resident for these updates to be appropriate. Microsoft support descriptions are just too techie. I know that x64 files are related to 64bit OS, but the hash lines are Greek to me.

Thanks for your patience and understanding. I apologize if I've offended any "geeks" out there.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Your system performance should not be affected by applying patches. You should at a minimum apply all the security patches offered.

You may use the disk cleanup tool to get rid of unnecessary patch backup files. To do this start Control Panel, type in the word disk in the search box, click on "free up disk space by deleting unnecessary files". You may need to select "C:" if you have more than one partition on your disk. Once it has run, click on the "Clean Up system files" button. Check or uncheck the various categories. You do want to make sure that the category about Windows updates is checked.

Please be more specific about other performance issues you may have.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Had the same issue. Went to bed, got up in the morning and redid it, and it worked second attempt. I figured it didn't like my rejecting the Win Updater update for the umpteenth time.

Thanks
    win32k.sys is a main Windows graphics driver, vulnerabilities/attacks/malware related to that (through or affecting GDI, fonts, Flash etc.) have been very common in recent years, as have the frequent patches for them.