Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows update failure

I am running a Lenovo Thinkpad with 64 bit Windows 7 Pro and have been doing regular monthly updates for sevearl years. The last update was done on January 4th while I was on holiday. I tried to update on February 11th but gave up after Windows searched for 45 minutes and never found any updates. Today I have tried again and once again the search failed.

I downloaded and installed the latest Windows Update Agent without any improvement.

I ran Windows Update Troubleshooter and it reported that all problems were fixed but he service registration was missing or corrupt so I ran net bit and net wuauserv from the command line. On checking both services were started but bit was set to manual so I changed this to automatic. This resulted in no improvement.

On searching the web I found another suggestion and cleared the Windows/Software Distribution folder but this did not help.

I ran the troubleshooter again and it now said the services were fixed but gave an error 0x8007003. On searching this error Microsoft's suggested solution was to run the Troubleshooter again. I did this and then rebooted before trying Update yet again but with the same negative result.

Finally I tried turning off Zone Alarm and Avast AV (which I have run for several years0 but still no result.

The only other solution I have found is do to a complete reinstall of Windows but I am naturally averse to this solution and place my hopes on someone in the Lounge having the experience to sort this out.

Here's hoping!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There are two other MS tools that you can try and they for Resetting Windows Update Components and the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT)

SURT produces a log which can be found in C:\Windows\Logs then double click on the Checksur one which will open in Notepad.

SURT is a little a 500MB download so can take a little while, so before you try that one, run a command prompt as an admin and enter sfc /scannow to see what that reports.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/971058

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...readiness-tool

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-03-09)

Thanks
    I'm having the same problem. On 3/8/16 my 64 bit W7 found the updates at approx. 10:15 am but I tried my 32 bit W7 computer in the afternoon and this morning and it just continues to search for updates.
    I thought that maybe there is a problem with KB3138612 ( that is supposed to help WU ) so I uninstalled that and rebooted. No luck whatsoever.
    I opened task manager and tried to stop WU but it just continues to run in the background with svc for windows services using 50% constantly. Seems like the only way to stop WU is to shut down the computer.
    Maybe this is MS's way of getting rid of updates for W7?

I just ran sfc /sannow and it found no problems.
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2016-03-09 at 12:45. Reason: add info

Thanks
    I tried running chkdsk /f and then WU with no change. Then I tried the WU "Fixit" and it found a couple of problems and fixed them but no joy with WU.
    So now I am going to D/L all the KBs from the MS Update catalog site and just install them manually.
    I think that something has happened/changed with the WU site. Hopefully it is temporary.

I could only get 3 updates to update manually since they changed the process for the "Windows Standalone Installer". It just keeps searching "this computer".
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2016-03-09 at 19:05.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have not updated in awhile, it may take awhile for WU to find your updates. Especially after deleting the contents of the Windows/Software Distribution folder. The fix for error 80070003 is to delete the contents of the Data Store and Downloads folder in that directory. Doing this goes smoothly, when you try to do the whole folder you will get some access violations. Did you disable WU in services first?

I have seen WU misbehaving since last summer on more than 1 machine. Long searches and no indication of download progress. Also no notification that new patches are available. I personally think MS is trying to pi$$ off people so they will switch to WinX.
    Last edited by ldb; 2016-03-10 at 08:01.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ldb For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-03-09)

Thanks
    If you have not updated in awhile, it may take awhile for WU to find your updates
    I was fully patched up until the most recent WU's.
    KenWA hasn't responded to his post, wonder if it's working for him yet.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the advice. Following my post I discovered I had done a Windows System Image in November and so restored this image and tried Update again with the same negative result. I slept on he problem overnight and then tried the desperation step of doing a full reinstall of Windows.

The first significant event was that early on it asks whether it should check for updates to the installation. I agreed to this but to my dismay this updater did the same thing and kept searching for 40 mins. I stopped this and repeated the process but skipped the updating step and the installation went without a hitch, including activation. Did this solve the problem - No!

I rebooted again and ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter again. It passed everything but reported an error 0x8024402C. I researched this on the Web but all suggestions seemed to be about trouble with Proxies and I have none. Microsoft said the error occurs because an incorrect character exists in the proxy override setting and offered a fix but when I ran this it said that this fix was not for my set up - presumably either Win 7 or perhaps because there are no proxies.

I found another post which suggested Control Panel/Troubleshooting/Windows Update and this ran as far as displaying "Searching for updates on-line" and stayed there for half an hour!

Finally I downloaded (very slowly) the SURT mentioned and the installer which gets as far as "Searching for updates on this computer" and has stayed there for abour 45 mins.

I see there are several other people in this thread and others describing a similar situation and in view of the episodes mentioned above I am wondering whether there is not a problem at the other end and not on my computer. I have now spent many hours on this problem and am still faced with a notebook that will come under increasing risk while on-line so, Please can someone with the necessary knowledge sort this out.

My thanks are here in anticipation!

Thanks
    My 64 bit W7 computers found the updates fairly quickly but my 1- 32 bit computer has been checking for updates for hours now.
    This was in the newsletter this morning from Susan:
    This month, if you click Check for updates in Windows Update on a Win7 machine, you’ll probably find that the process takes an enormous amount of time.
    Even if you install this month’s Windows Update client patch, KB 3138612, the scan will be a bit faster but still slow. (Install KB 3138612 and be patient
    Update:
    After 3 hrs. my 32 bit W7 found the updates. Conclusion, it's the WU site.
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2016-03-10 at 13:18. Reason: update

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It looks as though my suspicions may be right. What will Microsoft not do to try to persuade Win 7 users to downgrade to Win 10?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KenWA View Post
    It looks as though my suspicions may be right. What will Microsoft not do to try to persuade Win 7 users to downgrade to Win 10?
    Agreed
    I went through all kinds of stuff yesterday like running the WU fixit etc. ( nothing compared to what you did though, LOL ) and all it turned out to be is MS.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Update KB3102810 was released to ease the problem of slow/hanging Check for updates but that was already installed on this laptop to no avail.

I have recently run the Windows Repair program from www.tweaking.com on both machines (twice on this machine), which included a WU fix but because this includes clearing the SoftwareDistribution folder, it emulates a fresh install or factory reset where it seems never ending checking for updates.

I eventually cancelled the scan, got on with my life and waited for MS to send them out, which it did and now both laptops are up to date after vetting this month's updates.

Sometimes changing the DNS servers in the computer can help, depending upon what the problem is.

Thanks
    Update KB3102810 was released to ease the problem of slow/hanging Check for updates but that was already installed on this laptop to no avail.
    KB3138612 was supposed to help also but it didn't on my computers.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have just run my Thinkpad updater overnight but it still doesn't find any updates.

Thanks
    The problem with all this is that you never know anymore whether it's your computer or if MS has got the WU site screwed up again.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The MS problem continues - I think

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    The problem with all this is that you never know anymore whether it's your computer or if MS has got the WU site screwed up again.
    Indeed. I am having what I think is the same problem - the updates show up (I am set to check for updates but not automatically download them), but an attempt to download & install them is stuck at 0%. I can't find any references to the MS server problem except on this forum, so I guess the only way to know when the problem is fixed is if people on this forum report their status. For my report, it's 9:00 am PST and I am still unable to download. If anyone has better success please post the info here.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast