Thread: Connectivity

Lounger
    Thanks

Connectivity

I am a modestly experienced home computer user since the early days (1988). I currently use a Dell XPS 8700 and several weeks ago migrated to Windows 10. Initially there were no problems. Recently I have complettely lost the ability to connect to the internet from my main desktop computer. All the tablets still connect (IPads). I have reinstalled Windows 10 three times and reformatted the drive each time. It begins with reinstalling windows 8, upgrades to windows 8.1, downloads and installs windows 10 and then drops the internet. It appears to attempt to make an internet connection and frequently cycles between establishing an ethernet connection and finding no connection whatsoever. I can connect with the modem and the network and sharing center clearly identifies the correct SSID for the modem. I can access the modem from my desktop, so I am assuming it is not a hardware or cable issue. The problem is not resolved by moving from dynamic to static IP addresses. Occasionally, I have been able to establish a broadband connection, but it eventually fails and does not re-establish a connection. Win10 troubleshooting wizards have not been helpful or informative and fail to resolve the problem The troubleshooting wizard says the desktop is missing some network protocols but fails to identify them. Clicking on more information indicates windows sockets are not present in the registry. Understanding what it is telling me is not the issue; fixing it is... Any thoughts?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter -

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

exit

Then reboot.

It may also be worth checking to see if your Network drivers require updating for Win 10.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

bobdog (2016-03-15),eikelein (2016-03-15)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. Problem resolved. The winsock reset got me back online the driver update stabilized the system. Your help very much appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You're welcome and thanks for the update.

You can use the Thread tools dropdown to Mark thread as Solved.

Thanks

Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter -

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

exit

Then reboot.

It may also be worth checking to see if your Network drivers require updating for Win 10.

Thanks, Sudo. I was dealing with the very same problem.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Glad they helped