Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Change in Windows Notification icon

Since the last upgrade I now see a small circle with a minus sign in the lower right corner of the notification icon.

Capture.GIF

Is this No. 2,968,649 of the inexplicable changes that Microsoft bestows upon us?

What does it mean?

Thanks
    It means that there's a new notification in the Action Center. Click on the the icon to open the Action Center to read the notification.

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    On mine, that shows up when I have a notification that I haven't cleared in the notification area. I assume that they want to remind you that it's there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    It means that there's a new notification in the Action Center. Click on the the icon to open the Action Center to read the notification.

Hope this helps...
    Rick, on mine, a new notification makes the icon white but gets the little circle when the notification area hasn't been cleared.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95
    Rick, on mine, a new notification makes the icon white but gets the little circle when the notification area hasn't been cleared.
    My mistake; you're quite right.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    But how does one clear it? When I click on the icon, I get a line on top that says: "No new notifications"

Thanks
    I've seen posts that this may be due to a bug. Try right-clicking on the icon and choose "Turn on quiet hours" then right-click on it again and choose 'Turn off quiet hours'. This has just worked for me.

Hope this helps...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

joro (2016-03-10)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Did as you suggested (quiet hours) and it worked. No more minus in a circle.
    Mahalo nui loa (Hawaiian: Thanks very much)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Hey Y'all,

The little circle with minus means that notifications are turned off, either temporally (quite hours) or permanently:

NotificationsOff.PNG

You notice above the option to turn Notifications On since I had them off. If it's quiet hours that option is not shown.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Hi RG, I think it must be a bug then... 'cos I had the little circle with minus even though notifications were turned on and 'quiet hours' was turned off.

My laptop has just updated itself and there's a new notification to that effect in Action Center (even though the icon didn't turn white) but, when I hover the mouse pointer over the Action Center icon, a tooltip appears with 'No new notifications'. If I open and close the Action Center without clearing the notification then, in theory, the little circle with minus should re-appear showing the notification hasn't been cleared... but it doesn't.

I'm running 1511 (Build 10586.164).

Thanks
    Interesting
    When I got the -circle I opened the action center and cleared a notification that I had left in there and the -circle went away. Maybe my opening the action center turned it back on????
    Build 10586.164

Thanks
    I've just checked on another device - Build 10586.0 - and the Action Center icon was white, tooltip shows 'New notifications'. I opened then closed the Action Center without clearing any of the 4 notifications... yet the icon stayed white.

I did a manual update to Build 10586.164, rebooted and now the Action Center icon is behaving as expected.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Rick,

I get this for No New Notifications on my desktop:
    NoNewNotifications.PNG

From my laptop w/New Notifications:
    newnotifications.JPG

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Hi RG, I don't think I explained very well. It's the 'change state' transitions which appear to be inconsistent.

For example, in one case (post #12) the Action Center icon stayed white even after I had opened and closed the Action Center, i.e. I thought the icon should have changed from white to translucent after I had opened the Action Center to view the notifications. Or is this a misunderstanding on my part?

In another case (post #10), the Action Center icon was translucent even though I found a new notification when I opened the Action Center. I accept that a new notification may coincidentally have appeared a millisecond before I opened the Action Center, i.e. before the Action Center icon had time to change to white... but how likely is this? Strange.

Lastly, even with an empty Action Center, i.e. no notifications, I couldn't get rid of the -circle superimposed on the Action Center icon (post #5) until I had right-clicked on the icon, chosen "Turn on quiet hours" then right-clicked on it again and chosen 'Turn off quiet hours' (this was a suggestion on another forum which worked). Inconsistent.

Instead of a static screenshot, does anyone have experience of recording a video clip of a small section of the screen and inserting it in a post? When I look at 'Insert video' there doesn't seem to be a way to upload a video clip stored locally in the same way as the basic image uploader.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you upload the video file to OneDrive or something similar, then click on share, get a link, then you can post the link using the video URL function in the reply box here.

I just tried it and it works.
    Last edited by Trev; 2016-03-11 at 18:09.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast