Thread: Upgrade W10

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrade W10

Advice please.
    If I upgrade to Windows 10 now, then I decide I would rather go back to Windows 7,
    would I still be able to upgrade to Windows 10 at a date later than 29/07/2016?

How would I do this
    Many thanks
    Dave

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBRenn View Post
    Advice please.
    If I upgrade to Windows 10 now, then I decide I would rather go back to Windows 7,
    would I still be able to upgrade to Windows 10 at a date later than 29/07/2016?

How would I do this
    Many thanks
    Dave
    That is really a good question that I have never seen anyone ask before. I don't know the answer as to whether you would be allowed to do this for free after the July 29th deadline. But you might since in your scenario it was already once installed for free.

As to how you would do this: Once you have Win10 installed (you backed up the Win7 installation first right?), updated and running the way you like, at some point you'd make an verified image of the drive just like you did for Win7 above and then after swapping back to Win7 and transferring any data files needed from the Win10 installation you'd eventually break out the Win10 disk when you tired of Win7, back up the Win7 installation and put Win10 image back and transfer any data files from the Win7.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Before you do upgrade to Win 10, if you haven't already - go into the BIOS and set the Boot order for it to check the CD/DVD drive and USB before the SSD/HDD as because of the speed Win 10 boots up, F2 and F12 may not work, although I believe you can get into the BIOS from within Win 10 - but changing the Boot order will be a belt & braces.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I do run weekly scheduled W7 backups with Macrium Reflect.