Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unwanted automatic update to Windows 10 happening now

Is there anyway I can stop this? I had Windows set to not upgrade but, in typical Windows fashion, it did what it wanted to do. Now my machine is automatically upgrading to Windows 10. I do not want it. I have lots of software that I do not think will work with it. That software is worth thousands of dollars. I feel Windows is stealing from me. It is like they rang my doorbell, I told them to go away, and they push their way in.

Is there a way to seamlessly return to Windows 7? I did a full system repair yesterday. I never did a system restore but I know Windows doesn't themselves on a regular basis. I know I should have done this but I didn't. I want to return to Windows 7. Is there any way to seamlessly do this?

A friend told me we should start a class action suit against Microsoft. Although this sounds like a good idea, I feel like an ant attempting to stop a tyrannosaurus. Does anyone have any idea what I should do?

Thanks
    You should have the option of returning to Windows 7.

Once you do it, I would do two things:

1. Do a complete system backup, and then do a backup regularly, so that you can get back to Windows 7 if this happens again.
    2. Install the GWX Control Panel, and keep it updated, so that you can prevent this from happening again. (http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Also make sure in future that you have Windows Updates set to notify but not download or install, and uncheck the box that sets recommended updates to be run the same way as important ones.

It shouldn't be possible to install the upgrade (as opposed to downloading it) without at some stage a prompt coming up for you to agree to the EULA at which point you should be able to decline and stop the upgrade. Did that not happen? Does anyone else have access to your machine?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I set my Windows Update to Never check and disable the service until I check for updates manually.
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There was no EULA that I know of. It was turned off overnight and started at startup only to finish itself. No one else has access to the machine. I had the machine set to not do any updates. I guess Microsoft does what it wants. Now to find out if Adobe Creative Suite 4, AutoCAD and all my other architectural software is compatible. I am considerably less than a happy camper.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, Joe, that was what we had. But it happened anyway. This makes me very wary of Windows. We were going to order a new custom built machine today. We are now putting it off and deciding if we want to go the Apple route. Yes, we will have to get the Apple versions of our expensive software, but this is pirating our machine and that is just not acceptable under any circumstances.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    aicm, hello.

Try all your old and favourite apps on W-10. I have quite a few of the same ilk and they all run on Win-10 and have since I got on in Nov-2014.

The exception are 16 bit apps, the 32 bit ones are good, here anyway. Give it a chance.

Jean.

Thanks
    If you want to go back to your previous OS, Click on the Start icon > Settings > Update and Security > Recovery > Go back to Your Previous OS
    You have 30 days after the Windows 10 install to do this. After 30 days Windows deletes the files necessary to do the roll back.

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2016-03-11 at 19:50.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    “Now my machine is automatically upgrading to Windows 10.”
    “There was no EULA that I know of.”
    It appears to me it might be downloading but not installing yet: Please verify.

“It was turned off overnight and started at startup only to finish itself.”
    The computer I did yesterday took 21 hours for the download to complete
    A computer should not be turned off during the download but if it is it will start back up and complete itself as you mention
    Same with the install if that’s the stage it’s in

Every computer I’ve upgraded to Win10 required accepting the EULA when it’s time to actually install Win10 even when the download had started automatically according to the user.

On your Windows 7 computer, is Windows 10 actually installed? Please verify.
    If so revert back to your Windows 7 ASAP if you do not want to stay on Windows 10
    How to Go Back to the Previous Windows from Windows 10
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...s-windows.html

Once we know the state of your computer and course of action you want to take we can home in from there especially since you don’t want to upgrade to Windows 10.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This very same thing just happened to Woody! You can read all the details on his Askwoody.com website. He had a Win 7 computer that he was using for tests, and Windows Update tried but failed to update it to Win 10. It's worth a look, he's got some good ideas on protecting yourself from this MS lunacy.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe that MS have started to hide WX update material inside updates purporting to be something else.

Enough - I'm turning them all of !

I may not "own" the software but it's my computing environment, not theirs.

Thanks
    KB 3035583 appears to be the culprit, lots of action on reddit over the last day or so about it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    KB 3035583 appears to be the culprit, lots of action on reddit over the last day or so about it.
    LOL, 2 things occur to me after reading some of those post's.
    1- A lot of people weren't prepared for the MS "Shaft".
    2- Reddit doesn't restrict language when your cursing MS.

Thanks
    Some of those reports came from Domain connected PCs, they wouldn't have expected it.

Yes, the language on (most of?) reddit is quite blunt.

(I've only skimmed that thread, hopefully I'll have more time later/tomorrow to get a better feel for what they're reporting.)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Yep, that one and at least a half dozen others that I was alerted to by Askwoody.com and didn't allow to download & install. I haven't had any problems with any of the nags or any Win 10 crap. I was prepared way in advance, and I'm not a computer guru or genius. Wait a minute, maybe I am!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast