Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OneDrive: why do Office documents need "Enable Editing"?

I've noticed that any Office documents I store on OneDrive require me to click Enable Editing when I open them. I know that it's possible to turn this feature off completely but that defeats the security purpose of it being there in the first place.

What I want to know is why this is happening specifically with documents on OneDrive and if there is any way around it.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Most likely it is because it is a file downloaded from the Internet. Since Office files can contain malicious code in the form of macros they need to be enabled before changes.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    These are documents I have created, not downloaded documents.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Doesn't make any difference. You are still downloading them from OneDrive to do the editing.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Doesn't make any difference. You are still downloading them from OneDrive to do the editing.
    Perhaps I haven't looked at enough documents to know if I may have edited them only on the original PC where they were created or if they were edited on a different machine then updated on my main PC.

So perhaps my real question is, what file/document property is causing this to happen? I routinely exchange Word and Excel files with others by way of a VPN and/or FTP and don't see this happening.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    So perhaps my real question is, what file/document property is causing this to happen?
    Protected View:

What is Protected View?

Enable Editing for All Office 2010 Documents by Disabling Protected View

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I understand about Protected View. But why would putting a file on OneDrive cause this? Does Windows consider OneDrive to be an untrusted source???
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Administrator
    Thanks
    It is not that it is OneDrive. It is a file from the internet. Just because it is on OneDrive does not mean it is safe.

Joe

Thanks
    I don't have this "issue": I create a document in Word (2013 Desktop version), save it to OneDrive and that's it. When I later open Word I can open any document I have saved to OneDrive and edit it directly.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It may be because I frequently access OneDrive files from more than one computer (otherwise I wouldn't bother with OneDrive at all). So perhaps it comes down to which computer I created it on originally. Well, originally most of the files were on a server.

But it's hard to equate a file on OneDrive as being the same as a file downloaded from some sketchy web site. First, off doesn't Microsoft trust it's own Cloud service? Second, what file property says, "this is a downloaded file"?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I get the message now and then when someone sends me an attachment. I haven't gotten comfortable with the "Cloud" concept.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Once again, it is not a matter of Microsoft trusting OneDrive. It is that the content that the file may contain.

BTW, what is the precise message you get? That would give you a hint about why it is happening.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    But it's hard to equate a file on OneDrive as being the same as a file downloaded from some sketchy web site. First, off doesn't Microsoft trust it's own Cloud service?
    If you had a shared folder in OneDrive others could add or change files.

Second, what file property says, "this is a downloaded file"?
    Zone.Identifier in Alternate Data Stream: Alternate Data Streams in NTFS

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Zone.Identifier in Alternate Data Stream:
    That's a lot to digest, but I've checked several files using Streams and they don't have an alternate stream.

It seems that most of the files in my OneDrive have this issue. The Protected View message is "This file originated from an Internet location and might be unsafe." Then there is the Enable Editing button.

These files have only been edited two places: My Win7 computer and my NAS. They were moved to OneDrive as part of a set of about 100 documents so that they can, in the near future, be edited on my old Win7 or new Win10 computers. Without going through all of the files, I can't say how many files act like this, but based on a sample, very few don't.

Here are some tests:
    --If I open and save one of the files that gives the message, it is fine when it is reopened.
    --If I copy or move it to a non-OneDrive directory, then it does not give that message
    --If I move it to a non-OneDrive directory and open it, it does not give that message, but if I move it back, then it does.
    --If I move a file from a non-OneDrive directory to OneDrive, it starts giving me that message.

Here is the weirdest part, there are two files that were last edited on the same day in Oct 2015, which is before they were moved to OneDrive. One gives me the Enable Editing message and the other does not.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Graham

Have you tried setting your OneDrive folder as a Trusted Location?

David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast