Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Can't connect wireless HP B210a printer to Win10 laptop

I'm trying without success to install my grandson's HP B210a printer to connect wirelessly with a Windows 10 (64-bit) laptop. It's made to connect either wirelessly to a WiFi network or to a computer via USB. I want to go wireless so other users in the home can print with it.

I connected the printer to the home's wireless network (2.4 MHz) and printed a "Wireless Network Test Report" from the printer's settings screen. The wireless indicator on the printer says everything is okay. Over at the computer, from the HP Web site, I downloaded and installed the full-feature software for this printer. While adding the printer to the computer, I carefully entered the IP address that shows on the printer control panel. Both the printer and the computer tell me they're connected to the wireless network—exact same SSID. However, the computer reports that the printer is not installed on the network.

I've run the HP Print & Scan Doctor, which also reports no joy. I've power-cycled both the router and the printer, and I've restarted the computer. I tried using the browser to visit the printer's IP address, but the browser reports that it can't go there. What more can I do?

One more bit of information, for what it's worth—The wireless network has a router and an extender. Both the printer and the laptop use the extender (same network, same password). This laptop and a couple other machines have been using the extender with no issue for several months.

Also: While the printer and the computer display the exact same SSID, their IP addresses differ. The first two quadrants of the IP addresses are identical, but the third and fourth don't match. I don't know enough about this networking mumbo-jumbo, but it appears the computer is set up to use DHCP.

I hope someone can help me unravel this mess. I'll greatly appreciate any help.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesar3 View Post
    Also: While the printer and the computer display the exact same SSID, their IP addresses differ. The first two quadrants of the IP addresses are identical, but the third and fourth don't match. I don't know enough about this networking mumbo-jumbo, but it appears the computer is set up to use DHCP.
    I can't help with the other issues you mentioned as I've not had that much success setting up Wi-Fi printers but for the part I quoted, seldom if ever can 2 devices use the same TCP/IP address so the last group or last 2 groups have to be different. An example would be 192.168.1.1 which usually is a Router [different brands different numbers] and other devices attached to it will have a different last number, e.g. my printers attached by Ethernet cable are 192.168.1.113 and 192.168.1.136.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is unusual (at least to me) for the last TWO sets numbers to be different...usually it is just the last set of numbers that differ.

It is supported in Win10. Can anything else connect to the printer?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/...ment/c04658195 - Win10 support, printer is supported

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/...ent/c04773236/ - wifi help

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/...ment/c04714314 - printer fail help

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/.../model/4021934 - printer driver support page

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm trying without success to install my grandson's HP B210a printer to connect wirelessly with a Windows 10 (64-bit) laptop. It's made to connect either wirelessly to a WiFi network or to a computer via USB. I want to go wireless so other users in the home can print with it.

I connected the printer to the home's wireless network (2.4 MHz) and printed a "Wireless Network Test Report" from the printer's settings screen. The wireless indicator on the printer says everything is okay. Over at the computer, from the HP Web site, I downloaded and installed the full-feature software for this printer. While adding the printer to the computer, I carefully entered the IP address that shows on the printer control panel. Both the printer and the computer tell me they're connected to the wireless network—exact same SSID. However, the computer reports that the printer is not installed on the network.

I've run the HP Print & Scan Doctor, which also reports no joy. I've power-cycled both the router and the printer, and I've restarted the computer. I tried using the browser to visit the printer's IP address, but the browser reports that it can't go there. What more can I do?

One more bit of information, for what it's worth—The wireless network has a router and an extender. Both the printer and the laptop use the extender (same network, same password). This laptop and a couple other machines have been using the extender with no issue for several months.

I hope someone can help me unravel this mess. I'll greatly appreciate any help.
    I've setup several wireless printers, and I've never had to enter an IP address. Once you tell the installer that you want to use a wireless connection to the printer, the installer should search your network for the printer. Once it's found, the installation will complete.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Caesar,

I agree with JJ and here's what I'd recommend.

1. Control Panel Programs and uninstall the HP Software.
    2. Go into Devices and Printers and delete the printer and have it delete the drivers also.
    3. Roboot
    4. Go into Devices and Printers and Select Add a Printer
    5. Windows will search for your connected network printers (it may take a while).
    6. When your printer shows up select it and then follow the prompts.

Also with the IP addresses only the last digits should be different for a home network under normal circumstances. If the next to last set is different you may have another problem entirely. In this case I'd recommend that you set the printer back to Factory Settings and then redo the initial installation over very carefully.

It has been my practice to limit the addresses that DHCP can use at the router, say 100-150 (last set of numbers) then I assign my printers and other non-computer devices like NAS, AT&T Micro Cell, etc. to addresses outside that range so they will not get changed by DHCP. YMMV

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow ... to all of you, a big thank you! FN: Thanks for all the links! I tried to install the printer on my MacBook Pro, but the setup reported it was unable to connect with the printer, even though both the printer and the laptop use the same IP address.

RG, I'm going to take your advice and start over. I never thought I'd encounter all the trouble I've encountered this in this project. I've set up two of my own wireless printers (both HPs), with very little trouble.

You guys are super!
    Last edited by Caesar3; 2016-03-12 at 17:45.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    have it delete the drivers also.
    RG: I've deleted the printer, but I noticed nothing about deleting the drivers. What else should I do to make sure the drivers are gone?

FWIW, I visited the Device Manager and found no trace of the printer.

Thanks
    Caesar,

Did you do step 1?.

When you deleted the printer it should also have asked if you wanted to delete any associated files.

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I deleted the printer, as described earlier. Rebooted. I checked the HP Web site for instructions on returning the printer to factory defaults; followed those instructions. At the laptop, I clicked Add a printer. The system searched for printers, but without success.

Just for fun, I again tried to install the printer on my MacBook Pro. At least my Mac could see the printer was out there, but "An error occurred while trying to add the selected device. Unable to communicate with the printer at this time."

Back at the PC, I tried entering the IP address that appears on the printer's wireless settings. Result: "Additional port information required. The device is not found on the network."

When I ran the Wireless Setup Wizard on the printer, it offered three choices: (1) The home router, (2) the router extender, and (3) the home router's "guest" line. I'd been working with the extender all this time with no joy, so I decided to give the base router a go. Same results—even got the exact same IP address.

Seems to me it should not matter whether I'm using the base router or the extender. It's all the same network, right? The extender is just re-amplifying—boosting—the signal. Same password and all. So the problem seems to be that the computers simply can't communicate with the printer, even though my grandson's PC, my MacBook, and the printer are using the same network. Ain't that weird?

So ... does the problem lie with the printer itself, with the router/extender/network, or with the computer? Or some combination thereof? I've collected a small but growing stack of "Wireless Network Test Reports" (the printer spits one out every time I run the wizard). Every one of them reads, "No problems found. Congratulations on the successful setup of your wireless printer."

Any thoughts? I'm at wit's end.
    Last edited by Caesar3; 2016-03-13 at 10:53.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Just printed a Network Configuration Page from this printer. It's all Greek to me. Anything I should look for?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    RG, I did step 1. I did not notice any prompts to delete associated files.

Thanks
    RG, I did step 1. I did not notice any prompts to delete associated files.
    Caesar,

That would have been generated by step 2.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning, RG (et al):

I completed all the steps, 1 thru 6 (in order), and I never encountered any prompts to delete associated files or drivers. I was eager to be sure on this point, so I found a discussion in the Microsoft Community that appears to show how to delete drivers manually. I followed the steps, and it appeared that the job was complete.

Then I set about starting over with the installation, and I reported the disappointing results in a post here last night. I never thought that installing a wireless printer on a WiFi network would be this hard. My grandson (in effect, my client) thinks the problem stems from the misguided efforts of another person to do exactly the same job. My grandson says this other person "thinks he's very smart about such things, but he isn't." The family has been using this printer for about three years, but never in wireless mode. They have to bring the computer to the printer and connect with a USB cable. I thought that, if I simply uninstalled the printer and started fresh, the wireless installation would go smoothly. So much for that notion ... .

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I deleted the printer, as described earlier. Rebooted. I checked the HP Web site for instructions on returning the printer to factory defaults; followed those instructions. At the laptop, I clicked Add a printer. The system searched for printers, but without success.

Just for fun, I again tried to install the printer on my MacBook Pro. At least my Mac could see the printer was out there, but "An error occurred while trying to add the selected device. Unable to communicate with the printer at this time."

Back at the PC, I tried entering the IP address that appears on the printer's wireless settings. Result: "Additional port information required. The device is not found on the network."

When I ran the Wireless Setup Wizard on the printer, it offered three choices: (1) The home router, (2) the router extender, and (3) the home router's "guest" line. I'd been working with the extender all this time with no joy, so I decided to give the base router a go. Same results—even got the exact same IP address.

Seems to me it should not matter whether I'm using the base router or the extender. It's all the same network, right? The extender is just re-amplifying—boosting—the signal. Same password and all. So the problem seems to be that the computers simply can't communicate with the printer, even though my grandson's PC, my MacBook, and the printer are using the same network. Ain't that weird?

So ... does the problem lie with the printer itself, with the router/extender/network, or with the computer? Or some combination thereof? I've collected a small but growing stack of "Wireless Network Test Reports" (the printer spits one out every time I run the wizard). Every one of them reads, "No problems found. Congratulations on the successful setup of your wireless printer."

Any thoughts? I'm at wit's end.
    You realize that "factory default" probably means wireless is OFF now on the printer?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    You realize that "factory default" probably means wireless is OFF now on the printer?
    If that's the case, then this printer hasn't gone fully back to "factory default." When I turned the printer on after the reset, I ran the wireless setup wizard. Right away, it searched for and found the available wireless networks. I tapped the screen to select the network I want to use, and it went for it.

I followed HP's instructions for restoring this exact printer to factory defaults. The instructions appear in response to a question about a different problem, but no matter. I followed the instructions to the letter and line by line. I thought it a little odd that they not only had me pull the power cord out from the back of the printer, but then also pull the plug from the wall socket. I suppose the purpose is to drain power out of the transformer (the "brick"). I left it longer than the 15 seconds they recommended—long enough to allow the green power indicator on the brick to fade to black.

FWIW, I tried to install this printer on another W10 laptop this morning. That system—on the same network—also failed to see the printer. That makes two PCs and one Mac that can't go wireless with this printer. Sigh ... .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast