Lounger
    Thanks

Win 10 upgrade of 64 bit win 7

Did the automated and I just noticed that my Win 10 install is 32 bit. What happened? What can I do to get the 64 bit os?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I've never seen a Windows upgrade change from 32 to 64 or 64 to 32. Are you absolutely sure that Windows 7 was 64-bit? To change from 32 to 64 or vice versa requires a clean install. Did you do the upgrade or a clean install?

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    System Details.JPG
    OOPS.
    I had a 64 bit Win 7 installed in the Dell XPS 8500 as it came from the factory. My wife was using the computer and she said that a windows message (?) came up and the computer started the upgrade to 10. I don't know if there was a choice for 32 or 64. I worked to get the install configured and in Task Manager I noticed that Firefox and Thunderbird were both 32 bit versions.

I just checked About System (attached) and it reports 64 bit os x64 bit processor. I am now puzzled about task manager reporting 32 bit versions of Mozilla products.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You'd have to specifically install 64-bit versions of products. Most 32-bit products run just fine on a 64-bit OS. Many products don't even offer a 64-bit version.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe, I should have looked around more on this install

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's worth noting that all upgrade paths for Windows, and this goes all the way back to Windows XP, maintains the bitness of the operating system. If you start with 32-bit you end up with 32-bit. If you start with 64-bit you end up with 64-bit.

It's not impossible that this could change in the future but for now it's always true. The way to alter this is a manual, from scratch install which isn't a software-supported upgrade.