Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Recommend credit-card processor?

Hi All,

I hope this is the right forum to post this as it's not strictly a Windows only query.

I run a small premium IT Support business / service. I used to work as a system administrator for a large accounting firm for over 17 years and recently got made redundant late last year, so I started my own business and all my clients from the Accounting firm (about 200 or so) came with me as part of the package.

My problem is when clients want to pay via credit card.

I've had a business PayPal account for quite some time that can do this for me, however it requires the client to also have a PayPal account in order to transfer money to me for my Tax Invoices. This is especially difficult for new clients as I have a policy of receiving at least part payment first before I undertake any works and establish a working relationship with the individual or business.

I'm finding that many people do not like PayPal and do not want to open a PayPal account. Indeed, many haven't even heard of PayPal. I've checked with my bank (CBA) to establish merchant facilities but for the amount of work that would be paid via credit card, it's financially nonviable and far too expensive.

So I need a credit card processor that will allow clients to make payments online that I can verify as successful immediately upon them making the payment and also if at all possible, for clients to be able to provide their credit card details to me over the phone so that I can do the online transaction for them if that's their preference.

Can anyone recommend such a service I can utilize? I realize nothing is free and I'm happy to pay a reasonable amount for membership to such a service - it just has to be reliable.

Any suggestions / hints as to where to look would be gratefully accepted.

Many thanks..

Andy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Paypal will accept CC payments.
    SagePay are good - don't know if they work for an Oz business.
    Basically you need to use a 3rd party service - non bank.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

csmart4125 (2016-03-22)

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    You might also ask around at some other banks, etc., to find out their fee structure.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    Many of my regular customers pay me via Internet Banking. I email them an invoice which has the BSB & account details; they go into their Internet Banking and transfer the funds to my bank account.

If the customer transfers the funds via "direct transfer" the transaction is usually completed within an hour-or-two, depending on which bank the customer is with (Westpac in particular seems to take up to two days to process such transfers).

If the customer transfers the funds via BPay it takes at least two days, sometimes three, for the credit to appear in my online banking.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Coochin,

Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Many of my regular customers pay me via Internet Banking. I email them an invoice which has the BSB & account details; they go into their Internet Banking and transfer the funds to my bank account.

If the customer transfers the funds via "direct transfer" the transaction is usually completed within an hour-or-two, depending on which bank the customer is with (Westpac in particular seems to take up to two days to process such transfers).

If the customer transfers the funds via BPay it takes at least two days, sometimes three, for the credit to appear in my online banking.
    Many of my clients do exactly that - pay via bank transfer which is fine for those that I've established a great working relationship with and have proven that they are good payers. The problem with this however is that when they also bank with the Commonwealth Bank, the transfer is instant, however any other financial institution takes up to 48 hours to show up in my account, which is less than ideal for new clients that I have no history with.

Surely there must be a credit card processor in Australia that will suit my needs? I've google a few but I'm not sure if they're any good or not so was hoping for some recommendations based on personal experience of you folks.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Many thanks..

Andy

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Sadly, you're at the mercy of the banks. I think you'll find that intra-bank transfers typically occur on the same day but inter-bank transfers typically take two working days (sometimes more). In the interim, neither the payee nor the payer has access to the funds (on which the banks make 1-2 days interest). If you want to offer credit card facilities, you'll have to shop around.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    My son is an Outfitter in Montana and uses a product called Square.
    https://squareup.com/

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

csmart4125 (2016-03-22),Fascist Nation (2016-03-13)

Thanks
    Berton
    I was just about to reply and post:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square,_Inc. when I read the post before yours . The OP needs Austrailian service and that is not listed in the Square website. New Zealand is however so maybe soon!
    It seems like a great way for the little guy to do CC acceptance. I an not a user so user beware!
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    I've been using the Square for about 3 years (USA). It accepts Visa, MC, Discover, Amer. Express, etc. Their fee is 2.5% which is MUCH less than most merchant fees via a bank. It has a 'reader" chip that plugs into my iPhone's headphone spot (or tablet). It will work via Service provider or WiFi if available. All data is encrypted. You can also phone in the credit card number. They deposit the transaction(s) at the end of the day directly into my bank account.

Never have had a problem, and have saved much $$ compared to my old bank merchant account. It is great for the small business owner.

Jim

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi akjudge (aka Jim)

Thank you very much for the information. I'll definitely look into square and ask them a few questions. When you say you can phone in a credit card number, is this to an Australian line or do you have to phone USA? If you could please clarify that it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks..

Andrew

Thanks
    Andrew,

I am not sure how it would work in Australia, BUT IT APPEARS THAT SQUARE IS AVAILABLE in Australia. Here is a link for Square's Australia Help Center:

https://squareup.com/help/au/en

You should be able to find answers to most of your questions there. Besides offering credit card services, their services include downloadable records of sales (in Excel format), sales taxes collected, etc. at no additional charge. Very handy if you are not a born accountant.

Hopefully this will get you started. If you have any other questions, PM me.

Jim

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Try Bendigo Bank and there is a stand alone service based in Qld I think. Also MYOB offers a payment processing service if you use their software (I think). Right down to a pay now button on the Tax Invoices! [AccountRightLive?] Check them out (http://myob.com.au/products/small-bu...-1424567012785)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, I'm not sure if these credit card payers work in Australia but they may be what you're looking for, and many even come with card machines if you have the client with you.
    iZettle
    Payleven
    SumUp.co.uk
    Worldpayzinc.com
    Intuit.co.uk

Rates seem to be typically 2-3% of the transaction

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewski View Post

My problem is when clients want to pay via credit card.

I've had a business PayPal account for quite some time that can do this for me, however it requires the client to also have a PayPal account in order to transfer money to me for my Tax Invoices. This is especially difficult for new clients as I have a policy of receiving at least part payment first before I undertake any works and establish a working relationship with the individual or business.

I'm finding that many people do not like PayPal and do not want to open a PayPal account.

Andy
    Yes, there are people who just do not like PayPal. But, people do not need to open an account to pay with PayPal.
    I give my clients the following message and it seems to help:

• If you do not have a PayPal account and do not want one, click ‘Don’t Have a PayPal Account?’ to use your credit/debit card without a PayPal account (You do not need to open a PayPal account to pay by credit/debit card ).

New Lounger
    Thanks

I also use Square

Quote Originally Posted by akjudge View Post
    I've been using the Square for about 3 years (USA). It accepts Visa, MC, Discover, Amer. Express, etc. Their fee is 2.5% which is MUCH less than most merchant fees via a bank. It has a 'reader" chip that plugs into my iPhone's headphone spot (or tablet). It will work via Service provider or WiFi if available. All data is encrypted. You can also phone in the credit card number. They deposit the transaction(s) at the end of the day directly into my bank account.

Never have had a problem, and have saved much $$ compared to my old bank merchant account. It is great for the small business owner.

Jim
    Just chiming in to say I have used Square for years too (also USA). I vend at large Quilt Shows and those venues want to charge you $100 or more for 3 days of wi-fi access plus $100+ for electricity for your cash register. With Square, I use it on an iPad (large enough so the older ladies who make purchases can see what is going on) and it runs on the cellular service in the area. When it gets really busy, I can pull out my phone and use it as a second "register". I can buy the little (non-chip) card reader for $10 at Target and other stores so we have several in the booth at all times. We have a battery backup unit that recharges phones and the iPad if it runs low during the day so I can eliminate those excessive venue charges.

I can use Square to take credit cards, but also to manage cash payments. That way my daily totals are all together in one place. At the end of the day, they send me a total count including all the payments I have put into the Register program in Square. I do have a PayPal card reader but I've never used it because the fees are higher.

The great part about Square is that there are no monthly fees (like the banks want to charge you). Since we do about 6 shows a year, I am really only paying when I actually use the service. I only pay per transaction. Occasionally someone's credit card won't swipe through the reader, but you can type the credit card number in directly. There is a tiny percentage more in the fee charged for that so we have gotten REALLY good at swiping! LOL

Square is terrific alternative when you don't need daily service like a brick and mortar store would.

Best wishes,
    GiGi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast