Thanks

Microsoft email clients

I have used Outlook for many years as my email client. It's just so all together, or it was at least. For the past several months I have been trying to set up a group in Outlook much like I as able to do in earlier versions. Now it seems using Outlook 2016 that that is not going to happen unless one is on an exchange server, which I am not.
    The other thing I have noticed is that in my address book, not one single business is listed. It seems that Outlook only looks at the first and/or last names. Not even a glance as it were to the Company. So if I want a company to show up in the address book I have to list it as a person. WTH? If I type Name< company there is nothing.
    One of the features in Outlook that I use most everyday is the drag and drop to calendar. At least they didn't take that away.

Next come Mail. This quite frankly leaves me shaking my head. While this "client" will not see any email/people groups that I have set up under people it will at least like Outlook let me drag and drop to an email folder. It will not however (even though the calendar icon is showing) let me drag and drop an email to the calendar. Again WTH?

Last but not least comes Outlook.com. Outlook.com is the only Microsoft email "client" that will see a people group...YeeHaa. But! it also lacks the ability to let me drag and drop an email to my calendar.

So when bill comes through my email I look at the email and drag and drop it to the due date in my Outlook Calendar. If I want to compose an email to a company using my Outlook Address Book, support@asdf.com is not listed there, but if I type support in the TO then it will show up.
    If I type Support@ using Mail, nothing shows up, however if I type company name it does show up.
    Doesn't seem to matter what I type in Outlook.com, as both support@, and WERE <company name both show up.

If someone has any ideas as to how I might have screwed this up, how to fix this, or of a desktop client that will let me do all like Outlook used to Please let me know! I will forever be in your debt!

I should also mention that I set my people groups up using W10 People, and that the groups do not show up on my Window 8.1 RT. Could that have something to do with it?
    The groups also show up on my W10Mobile. Thanks

John
    Last edited by t8ntlikly; 2016-03-13 at 14:20.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Microsoft is moving the Outlook.com (live.com, Hotmail.com, & msn.com) email backend to Exchange 365 online. There will be changes that address your group issue when this happens. See Outlook.com is moving to Office 365 Exchange Online & linked articles there for more detail.

Joe

Thanks
    John:

I can't speak about the calendar issues; but here's how I find email that comes from specific companies (bills, etc): I have created a folder called "Bills" in my mailbox; and under that folder, I have created a folder for each bill I get: Cox Internet; Vonage Phone; Verizon Cellphone; ABC Auto Insurance; etc etc. Any time I send or receive any email with one of those companies, I drag and drop the email into the specific folder. The result is that, no matter what name, subject, email address, etc. that company may use, I can always find everything by looking in the folders within my Bills folder.

I do the same for purchases: I have a Purchases folder; and within that folder, I have several folders: WalMart; Amazon; Ebay; etc etc.

I use IMAP for my email, so this folder structure is duplicated everywhere I check my email.

I realize that this is not the way you are used to doing things. But I believe it would be a good way to insulate yourself from whatever changes your email provider / email program may decide to make, or has already made.

Jim

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    The other thing I have noticed is that in my address book, not one single business is listed. It seems that Outlook only looks at the first and/or last names. Not even a glance as it were to the Company. So if I want a company to show up in the address book I have to list it as a person. WTH? If I type Name< company there is nothing.
    Try experimenting with the Default "File As" order. I have Outlook 2010 and to do that I would go to File>Options>Contacts>Names and filing.