Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    94
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Question Can't Start Windows 10 Firewall

    Just spent a week trying to start the W10 firewall. Dozens of Google recommended solutions but none work. Yes, Services reports it's automatic but it isn't running. Simply get an error message when I try to start it. Anyone else have the problem or a solution?

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    24,214
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 1,039 Posts
    What is the error? Check the event log for more details.

    Do you have third party security software running?

    Joe

  3. #3
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    94
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Firewall.JPG
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    What is the error? Check the event log for more details.

    Do you have third party security software running?

    Joe
    Copy of error message is attached. Currently using Windows Defender only.
    Last edited by buzzmag; 2016-03-14 at 12:58. Reason: Loaded image

  4. #4
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    24,214
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 1,039 Posts
    Try Windows Repair at tweaking.com. You can do a Windows firewall repair using that tool.

    Joe

  5. #5
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    94
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Try Windows Repair at tweaking.com. You can do a Windows firewall repair using that tool.

    Joe
    Tried it. It did not fix my firewall.

  6. #6
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    349
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 35 Times in 33 Posts
    Sucks that you wasted so much time trying to repair. A clean install is pretty quick.

  7. #7
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    24,214
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 1,039 Posts
    Have you verified that all the services on which the firewall depends are running?

    Joe

  8. #8
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    8,021
    Thanks
    203
    Thanked 1,046 Times in 994 Posts
    When you right click on it in services.msc and select Properties, under the Logon tab if it is set as a Local Service, try changing the account to Local System Account as this can sometimes resolve when a service won't start, but do as the error message suggests and check Event Viewer.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator bbearren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Polk County, Florida
    Posts
    3,901
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 446 Times in 353 Posts
    Have you run sfc /scannow?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

    "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

  10. #10
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    94
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    When you right click on it in services.msc and select Properties, under the Logon tab if it is set as a Local Service, try changing the account to Local System Account as this can sometimes resolve when a service won't start, but do as the error message suggests and check Event Viewer.
    OS would not permit the account change. I'm giving up on getting it running and considering a "clean install" via Fred's instructions.

  11. #11
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    8,021
    Thanks
    203
    Thanked 1,046 Times in 994 Posts
    Have you run a sfc /scannow as suggested ?

    An infection can stop the Windows Firewall - do you have an antimalware scanner like the free version of MBAM installed ?

    You could try running MSRT by going Start - type mrt.exe and when mrt comes up, press enter - usually a quick scan will cover the usually infected areas.

  12. #12
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    94
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Have you run a sfc /scannow as suggested ?

    An infection can stop the Windows Firewall - do you have an antimalware scanner like the free version of MBAM installed ?

    You could try running MSRT by going Start - type mrt.exe and when mrt comes up, press enter - usually a quick scan will cover the usually infected areas.
    Ran sfc /scannow. Nothing there. Tried MRT. Nothing found. Did a 'clean install' per Fred. Didn't help. Looks like a total reinstall is warranted.

  13. #13
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    8,021
    Thanks
    203
    Thanked 1,046 Times in 994 Posts
    Did the sfc /scannow report no violations ?

    Does Event Viewer have anything recorded for its fail to start ?

    If it has, click on the blue online help link where MS may give more info on the Event ID and with a possible solution.

  14. #14
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    94
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Did the sfc /scannow report no violations ?

    Does Event Viewer have anything recorded for its fail to start ?

    If it has, click on the blue online help link where MS may give more info on the Event ID and with a possible solution.
    Oddly enough, neither reports any problems.

  15. #15
    Administrator jwitalka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,948
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked 821 Times in 736 Posts
    You don't have any third party security software running by any chance. Or one that was not fully uninstalled.

    Jerry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •