Thread: Backup question

New Lounger
    Thanks

Backup question

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Get an external 2TB drive a 3rd part backup program (plenty of free ones, Aomei Backupper, EaseUS ToDo, Macrium Reflect).
    Make an image of your laptop to the external drive. Update the image every couple of months / whenever you want.
    Make regular data backups of "My Documents" to the external drive - at least weekly.
    Store the external disk in a safe, preferably fire and flood proof location.

cheers, Paul
    I would like to get a copy of the new laptop's HD before even starting Windows 10;
    Is there a backup program that I can launch from a USB drive that will let me copy the HD of the laptop?
    I assume I would need a boot-able USB that I could start the laptop from first, perhaps by choosing to boot from the USB before Windows can start?
    After it boots, I could launch the backup program, and then it would need to be able to "see" the HD on the laptop and let me image its partitions or the entire drive.
    Then I could start Windows, do setup and configurations, add programs or whatever, and do a second image, keeping the first as the original HD image should I ever need it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnbaby View Post
    Is there a backup program that I can launch from a USB drive that will let me copy the HD of the laptop?
    If you choose Macrium Reflect, see the online user guide, particularly the section Creating a bootable Windows PE USB stick.

If you choose Aomei Backupper, see the online help guides, particularly the FAQ How to Create Windows PE & Linux Bootable Disc? (which includes creating a bootable USB stick).

I've used both. They're equally good but I ended up sticking with Macrium Reflect, mainly because I found the documentation to be clearer.

Hope this helps...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I moved these to their own thread. Please do not hijack another thread. Just start your own. Your question/issue is likely to get more attention on its own and everyone in the original thread will not be confused by the additional Q&A.

Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Joe, does the OP get notification of replies after you move content to a new thread?
    Pardon the hijack

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Depending upon the make and model of laptop, you may have the option to create a set of Recovery disks which will be a copy of the Recovery partition.

While you haven't said which version of Windows is on the machine, in Win 7 you can create a System Repair disk and in win 8.1 you can create an USB recovery drive with which to boot up with to restore from a system image which you can use Windows own facility.

http://www.itpro.co.uk/operating-sys...ow-to-fix-them

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/create...ge-windows-8-1

Before you upgrade, go into the Setup (BIOS) and change the Boot order to boot from CD/DVD and USB before the HDD - to boot up from an USB in Win 8.1 has a different procedure to Win 7.

https://grok.lsu.edu/Article.aspx?articleid=17376

To revert from Win 10 to your previous version you can then factory reset your machine with the Recovery disks then boot up with either the system repair disk or USB recovery drive and then restore with the system image.

Should Win 10 go toes up on you (as it did for me), this is sure fire way of a fall back to get back up and running, although Macrium users (of which I'm not) probably have another way.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Paul,

I'm not sure but it probably depends on his subscription preferences. I just hope he reads this and learns from it.

Joe