Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Restore Points disappearing

I got my Task Scheduler set up to create restore points regularly, but when I went to check, all that was there was the latest. I have some 20 gigs of space allocated, so it shouldn't be that, but what else could it be?

It won't do me much good to want to restore back prior to an install, say, if all I have is the latest restore point available.

-----
    I just found this: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/system...eshoot-and-fix

and one item mentioned that concerns me a bit is where it says that if you upgrade to a new version of Windows the old points gets deleted -- it is seeing "automatic updates" as a new version?

Chuck Billow
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2016-03-14 at 12:07. Reason: Added info
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In Win 10 they are turned off by default, but after turning them on - each subsequent update which is in effect a different version, they get turned off again - so the one you are seeing is what has been manually created by Task Scheduler.

Best to go for an external system image.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Tom and chuck, hello.

Yes, the RPs do get deleted by new installs. I have more or less given up on this RP, I do clones regularly and it has saved my neck many a times. MMDNV ! ( My Millage does not vary ). Jean.

Thanks
    Ah, but when you update, if all is not well, you can easily roll back. My advice would be never to update a system with problems. After each update, I turn System Restore back on, and then when I have verified all is well, I create a restore point. Sometimes the first thing I do is create a restore point before verification just in case. After I have verified all is good, and have everything set to how I like it, I create an additional restore point, then delete the ability to roll back (system.old folder.)

Thanks
    OK all, that pretty much answers my question I think.

Thanks,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    But then, when I thought about it, I was confused "again." Not only is Update turning off Restore, but it is erasing prior points as well? So then, if one has automatic update turned on, as is "suggested", automatic erase of RP is as well, so then...?

But why then did it seem to be operating fine, until...? I would check and there would be several RP's showing. But now... I get that it turns RP off when you update -- although I cannot imagine why -- but why delete all prior RP's -- without even asking?? What if the update fails or has problems, which we all know has happened?

And although imaging is the obvious safer bet, multiple imaging in a day verges on ludicrous, especially when just setting up a system.

So there really is no workable rollback method available?

Chuck

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could have a read through this article http://www.howtogeek.com/235474/how-...on-windows-10/ but when you turn off system protection, it auto deletes the RPs that were in there.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Chuck, nice evening to you.

>>> So there really is no workable rollback method available? <<<

But there is. Go to Settings -> Update & Recovery -> Recovery, on the left -> Go to an earlier build. Kid's stuff.

My mantra is strictly " clones ". Jean.

Thanks
    But Jean, if I go to an earlier build, then I am just going back to Point A, aren't I, relinquishing the update to the latest build totally? And does this really resolve the Restore Point question?
    ----
    My restore points were / are disappearing without any major build change, so it's something aside from that as well.
    Chuck
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2016-03-15 at 01:51.

Thanks
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/system...eshoot-and-fix
    Here is a check list of reasons that jwoods posted on a thread a while back. I had this very problem with win 10 but after a while it stopped happening and now my restore points remain.I did nothing it just came right on its own. The restore points kept disappearing for a good 2 weeks before coming right.

Thanks
    I have experienced similar issues to foregoing threads.

Asa result, I have opted to keep Restore turned off. I make weekly full system backups. I Use Windows DiskClean to remove all traces of the Windows Updates and the Windows.Old folder. A bonus is I gain about 2-3GB of disk space using this approach.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    @Chuck,

Did you make sure that "Show more restore points" is checked?

Joe

Thanks
    The more space you have set aside for system restore the more restore points you will have. When that space becomes full earlier restore points will be overwritten.

Thanks
    @Joe, I don't see a "Show more restore points."

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    @Chuck,

If you start a Restore and select "Choose a different restore point", you get a list of restore points. There should be a check box "Show more restore points" at the bottom.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast