5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Moving File History backups to a new PC

LANGALIST PLUS

Moving File History backups to a new PC

By Fred Langa

Win8 and Win10's File History operations are radically different from those found in earlier Windows versions. Here's how to get your files into — and out of — File History. Plus: Revisiting an old recommendation about driver updates, and a reader asks whether his email errors indicate a malware infection.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/moving-file-history-backups-to-a-new-pc/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2016-03-14 at 16:02.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm also a firm believer in using an external hard drive to make and keep current backups. However I am afraid that if I am ever a victim of ransomware that my constantly-connected backup drive might also fall victim to such ransomware. I keep my external drive disconnected except for a daily backup, and then I again disconnect. Am I being too paranoid? Is there a setting that would prevent the external drive from being infected with ransomware? BTW, I utilize Time Machine on OS X, but I'm reasonably certain that the principle is the same. Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had to stop using file history in windows 10. No matter what I did and despite excluding the music directory it persisted in backing up iTunes. My library is huge and with the multiple versions file history creates I just kept running out of room. I have other backups for iTunes but nothing I could do, even shifting the library to another folder, could stop it from being part of file history.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good advice on email errors. However, I would add that if you're sending to more than a few people, you should always BCC. And if someone is sending a message to you this way, you should ask them to BCC.

For one, this avoids your email address getting distributed to malware infected PCs and webmail hacks.
    It allows you to manage who has your email address more.
    And finally, it avoids you getting the errors and echos from someone else.

Also, some email clients add email addresses to address books automatically. This makes it harder for people to maintain them. They may never even open them. Further, many hide the email address being used by default (just showing the name). That's a really good setting to change s it tends to make you repeat errors. Not to mention annoying people who have told you of a new address.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not a big fan of File History. Very simply because it doesn't have sensible settings that allow you to manage it properly. You use Windows the way they want you to or you loose features. They've reduced functionality in the process.

Windows seems to be gradually migrating to a Mac model where you have to do it our way. (cue Sinatra)

It used to be when I installed Windows, there was a few tweaks I always did, like displaying file extensions. But with Win8, the list became a lot longer, like changing the login style and going to the desktop. I even go to the desktop on my tablet as most of the Apps are problematic. Windows 10, the list is even longer as the default setup is so problematic. I'm hoping this isn't leading to an end game where you can't use Windows unless you're always connected to the mother.