Lounger
    Thanks

Touch Pad quits occasionally

I am not sure which forum this belongs on, so I decided to start here.
    I have an HP Split 13 running Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, build 10586.164.
    It has a Synaptics touch pad. Every now and then, with no apparent reason, the touch pad stops working. (Thank goodness for having a mouse.) I go to Mouse Properties/Click Pad Settings/Reset Devices and all is well again until the touch pad decides to quit working again.
    It has driver version 19.0.12.95 dated 7/6/2015. This the latest version offered by HP.
    Synaptics shows a later version, 19.0.19.1. It goes on to say the driver should be obtained from the computer manufacturer because of capabilities provided by the manufacturer. It says, "Installing a generic driver may result in the loss of OEM-customized Synaptics pointing device functionality." I set a restore point and installed the 19.0.19.1 version, and sure enough, the touch pad did not work at all.
    I restored the system back.
    It still quits when it suits itself.
    I have fallen in love with two-finger scrolling and this is a pain.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the same referenced driver on my HP Laptop (19.0.12,95) but is dated 8/10/15.
    I would try uninstalling the driver and restarting, such that Windows reinstalls the touchpad driver.
    A system restore point first would be a wise precaution.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the try. Still an issue.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    It appears this machine had Windows 8.1 on it originally. If the touchpad worked properly with Windows 8.1 then it is most likely a driver problem. That needs to be resolved by HP. Unfortunately, HP is notorious for not updating drivers for new Windows versions.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Keep an eye peeled for Synaptics updated driver. File a service tag with HP and a complaint with Synaptics. If the chip your laptop uses is still in manufacture (likely) it is in Synaptic's best interest to get it stably working in Win10. Unfortunately, other than long term customer satisfaction and loyalty, HP already sold you the laptop so their incentive is less.