Thanks

AVG Free nags to upgrade to ISS

During the past few weeks several of my customers have complained that AVG Free has been nagging them to upgrade to AVG Internet Security.

In fact, a couple of them mistakenly upgraded, then realised their mistake, but couldn't work out how to revert to AG Free.

The nag prompt pops up from the notification area usually after AVG has updated its definitions. Problem is that the wording and layout of the prompt is such that Joe Bloggs average is too-easily "sucked in".

AVG_Nag.jpg
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Problem is that the wording and layout of the prompt is such that Joe Bloggs average is too-easily "sucked in".
    Deliberately so!

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's not good at all, the wording is misleading to say the least.

Thanks
    I noticed that also..
    Ever since installing AVG Free on my W7 machine a few months ago it has been driving me crazy with pop-ups about the same thing or similar like safe search and other toolbars I don't want.
    And the pop-ups are designed to make it seem your life depends on it.

I have Avast on another machine and so far that seems to be O.k. and if it continues I will dump AVG and install Avast on my W7 machine.

Screw them!
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are a few prior threads on this. Free software is never completely free. You have to be willing to deal with "invitations" to upgrade and messages telling you that you are a complete blithering idiot for ONLY using the free program when the FULL program only costs pennies a day.

This is, in effect, advertising. It's no different than the advertising on the TV that constantly tells you that you are a blithering idiot for remaining with your current TV/Internet/Insurance/FillInTheBlank provider and you should call 1-800-Buy-Stuff in the next 15min for a free prize.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gsmith-plm For This Useful Post:

brino (2016-03-18)

Thanks
    Well, it has always happened but it seems lately they are really getting in your face and it gets frustrating because they try to trick you into getting/trying something you really don't want..
    It's almost fooled me a few times and I'm pretty savvy to all this.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sadly I figure the daily ad that does indeed try to trick people into upgrading ala Microsuck indicates a desperation to get new paying customers. Hard to complain about a free product.