Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts

No More Mr. Freeze!

Hey Y'all,

Holy Deep Freeze Batman another old trick that should no longer be recommended. Read all about it here. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I never had to use that trick but I have heard about it for years. No more evidently.

Thanks
    As someone who's had a 100%* success rate with the freezer 'trick', I think I can safely say that Scott somebody, the president of some data recovery company claiming this, has his own financial best interests in mind. His company might also have pushed some of their advertising revenue towards the publishers for this 'free' advert

*I've only felt the need to do it twice, once with a drive that was slow spinning up, probably stiction, the second time for a IC on the controller board that was burning out.

Drives are still mechanical and they still use controller boards, so there are still a few cases where this method will be successful. Yes, you do need to get the diagnosis right first, there's obviously a very high % of failed/failing drives that cannot be accessed via this method.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

Trev (2016-03-16)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Satrow, that sort of realism really isn't acceptable on the web!

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    If I had no other way of recovering the data, I would try this as one of my "last resort" tricks. But maybe just on an old hard drive, not on a modern hard drive.

Kind of like dropping the hard drive to unstick it.

My favorite one was back around 1994, when my boss hooked up a hard drive, took the cover off of it, and manually spun the platters to unstick them! He was able to get all of the data off of the drive!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Scott Mueller had an old open drive running demo that was kind of fun to watch. (video download link)
    http://forum.scottmueller.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1608

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    If I had no other way of recovering the data, I would try this as one of my "last resort" tricks. But maybe just on an old hard drive, not on a modern hard drive.
    You need a good reason to think that freezing the drive might help before attempting it anyway. The main difference between old and newer drives with regard to DIY recovery is that replacing the controller board is more complex with newer drives, for differential material shrinkage/super cooling ICs, there's no real difference when it comes to the age of the drive, the materials/electronics are very similar.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The plastic bag makes it worse, not better, unless you toss in a few bags of fresh (you can heat it to re-activate it) silica gel to remove the water vapour before chilling. Paradoxically, a desert and then the plastic bag in the freezer would work, because of the lack of water vapour. In a cold climate the outside air will have low humidity, but putting it there will make the water vapour inside the drive crystallize unless you use silica gel or other means. Try putting it in the oven first to dry it out.

Yes, I have a Barracuda with the click of death. Does anyone have a home remedy for my Barracuda?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogberry View Post
    The plastic bag makes it worse, not better, unless you toss in a few bags of fresh (you can heat it to re-activate it) silica gel to remove the water vapour before chilling. Paradoxically, a desert and then the plastic bag in the freezer would work, because of the lack of water vapour. In a cold climate the outside air will have low humidity, but putting it there will make the water vapour inside the drive crystallize unless you use silica gel or other means. Try putting it in the oven first to dry it out.

Yes, I have a Barracuda with the click of death. Does anyone have a home remedy for my Barracuda?
    There doesn't appear to be a home remedy for the click of death if it is caused by the arm hitting the stop.

http://www.datarecoverygroup.com/art...what-causes-it

http://harddriveclicking.net/