Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 365 no longer uses New Mail notification sound

Beginning sometime yesterday, my copy of Outlook 365 (version 16.0.6568.2036) ignores the setting for New Mail Notification in the Sounds tab of the Sounds control panel.

Outlook now plays the default Windows mail sound and not the sound that is displayed in the Control Panel. I have a custom sound that I've used for years. It appears correctly in the "Sounds:" box for New Mail Notification, and plays correctly when I click the "Test" button. Outlook is suddenly just ignoring the setting. The glitch survives shutdowns and restarts; I've selected a different file, then switched back to the file I want to use. Nothing seems to get Outlook to pay attention to the setting.

Is anyone else seeing (well, hearing) this? Anybody know a fix?

--Larry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Never mind. I've resolved the issue myself, after some reading and some experimentation.

Based on what I've been reading, Outlook has a long history of frustrating problems when it comes to notification sounds. I got Outlook to use the correct sound by pointing BOTH the "New mail notification sound" and "Desktop Mail Notification" sound to use the same sound file. No other combination works correctly.

I also discovered that if I use Outlook's "Display a Desktop Alert" option, Windows insists on using the generic "Notification" sound for incoming mail, which doesn't allow me to differentiate (by sound) a new e-mail message from any other Windows notification. I wish it were possible to use Outlook's Desktop Alert option along with a specific incoming mail alert sound.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any idea why Windows lists two sounds for incoming mail, and what the difference is supposed to be?

--Larry