4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Recommend PortableApps.com platform?

Whenever possible, I like to use the portable version of apps/progs and I keep them all in a folder on my data partition with a link to the Start Menu.

I was looking at the PortableApps platform and would be interested in any views or experience of its merits or otherwise.

Thanks in advance for any information.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you are speaking of installing the platform and apps on a USB stick, and there are enough apps you are interested in, then it's probably a good option.

But I've had a few problems with "portable apps" in Win10. You can use them but because they aren't installed, it can be a problem making them a default app.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    There are some programs that work with the Portable Apps program on USB Thumb drives but there's some that don't need that. Ones I use frequently are from Piriform.com, namely CCleaner, Speccy, Defraggler and Recuva. Any of the diagnostics that don't need to be actually installed are great for assisting in the cleanup of a computer. And they don't write anything to the Registry so no traces are left behind.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I already use several portable apps, including ccleaner and speccy.

My interest in the PortableApps program was that it is apparently easier to update the apps and the UI would make it easier to remember what is contained under the portable apps folder.

An added benefit would be the USB portability whilst travelling.

Thanks
    Hi Trev,

I too prefer portable apps, wherever possible. I looked at the offerings from PortableApps.com several years ago and continue to visit occasionally when I cannot get self-contained apps that I want anywhere else.

I keep my portable apps in a Support folder, sync'ed (using SyncBackFree) to what used to be a 32 GB USB 3 flash drive. Now that my .\Support\WSUSONLINE folder is ~28 GB, I've just bought a larger one - delivered today - and now have a Toshiba TransMemory 64GB USB 3.0 flash drive to replace it.

Keeping up-to-date is an issue that I haven't fully cracked to my satisfaction yet but my most important utilities (SysInternals and NirSoft) are kept up-to-date using KirySoft's Windows System Control Center (WSCC).

I've looked at many UIs over the years and still haven't found one to better the venerable (and no longer updated ) PStart. It's tiny, simple, absolutely stable (IMO), customizable and has done all that I want for many years. I've tried other UIs and have always come back to PStart. YMMV.

I'm just about to add a Windows 10 Fixes + Tweaks folder but, currently, the folder structure looks like this:

Click to enlarge
    My_USB.png

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-03-16 at 21:23.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Rick, very detailed post as usual, much appreciated.

I'm still investigating options, but have downloaded PortableApps on to a flash drive and am fairly impressed; whether I use it on my main machine, still not sure.

I looked at PStart, which links to http://www.portablefreeware.com include CCleaner and other Piriform apps in their available apps, whereas PortableApps do not, for the express reason that...

<< CCleaner as well as other Piriform apps (Recuva, Speccy, Defraggler) all have a license that prohibits repackaging and redistribution. Any portable software site distributing a portable version is doing so illegally.
    I've been in touch with the Piriform folks for about 7 years now and they're still not keen on us bundling it yet. And, unlike other sites, we won't do so illegally. I confirmed with Piriform just this week that the other sites are still doing it without permission as they do with most of their apps.>>...
    Last edited by Trev; 2016-03-16 at 21:51.

Thanks
    Fair play to both sites... Piriform for not wanting their hard work to be bundled with crap and PortableApps.com for not being sucked into the same 'added value' scenario. Respect to both...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    Whenever possible, I like to use the portable version of apps/progs and I keep them all in a folder on my data partition with a link to the Start Menu.

I was looking at the PortableApps platform and would be interested in any views or experience of its merits or otherwise.

Thanks in advance for any information.
    I have been using them for about 5 years or more since version 2.?
    They have had few issues in the past and zero in the last couple of years.
    I like the way they keep all supporting Apps up-to-date automatically and how easy it is to add non-supported apps to my USB devices.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RussB For This Useful Post:

Trev (2016-03-21)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback, Russ.