Thanks

Users seethe as Windows 10 arrives while their backs are turned

Decent article about many "Unsuspecting" and even fairly knowledgeable windows 7/8.1 users that got some really screwed up computers from the "New" MS auto install of W10 with some of the statements that MS evidently weren't truthful about on the install process.
    MS is starting to create a lot of ill will with this aggressive campaign. Evidently none of those people read WindowsSecrets forum post's, LOL.

http://www.computerworld.com/article...re-turned.html

Back in October, Myerson promised that users would be able to block a Windows 10 upgrade without resorting to fiddling with the registry. "You can specify that you no longer want to receive notifications of the Windows 10 upgrade through the Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 settings pages," he said at the time.

Microsoft has yet to provide those settings for Windows 7 and 8.1.

In the meantime, many users were steamed.

"This happened to two of my PC's a few days ago," said jamierocks369 on Reddit today. "I missed it on the first PC and had to roll back [to Windows 7] and then do a system restore as the rollback still didn't return the PC to the original Windows 7 state. Luckily managed to catch it on my second PC as I was about to restart for updates. Not cool, Microsoft."

"This bricked my father's computer. He was prompted to install a driver disk which he didn't have during installation, leading to a crash which totally crapped out his system," berniesright added to the Reddit thread on Sunday. "After many hours I was able to do a fresh install with my Windows 10 disk, only to discover that his computer now couldn't be activated, as the OEM number was no longer recognized. Real s***storm. [About] 12 hours wasted on this, plus all my father's data lost and still more OEM hassle to deal with. F*** Microsoft."

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm surprised there hasn't been a class action suit started already. I don't think Windows 10 should be forced on people. There should be a simple opt out for it. I also notice that hidden updates don't always stay hidden. Windows 10 update has a habit of changing people's settings for it. I have Windows update set to never check for updates and have the service disabled. Plus I have GWX control panel going.
    Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe S For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-03-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    In my experience a hidden update will only reappear if a.) you unhide it or b.) Microsoft releases an updated version of it. An updated version is why KB3035583 (the Get Windows 10 app) kept reappearing after it was hidden. The KB article is a revision 10.0. So, it may have reappeared 9 times.

Joe

Thanks
    An updated version is why KB3035583 (the Get Windows 10 app) kept reappearing after it was hidden. The KB article is a revision 10.0. So, it may have reappeared 9 times.
    I assume that's the reason that MS revises them, so that it will un-hide them.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-03-16)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Heck I assume it will reappear every update now. Now it both appears as an optional and a recommended update. Pushy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2016-03-16)

Thanks
    I'm surprised there hasn't been a class action suit started already
    Actually I'm a bit surprised also. Forcing W10 on people that had a promise of a W7/8.1 OS until the end of the lifecycle for those OS's and in a number of cases actually "bricking" those paid for computers OS's, seems like it would have more merit in court than the thousands of "frivolous" lawsuits you hear about every day.
    Adding in the time wasted and ( in some cases money if they have to have it repaired/reinstalled by someone ) I would think there would be lawyers advertising on TV about a lawsuit, LOL.
    Hmmm, maybe they are afraid of MS.