3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

home network access with Windows 10

I destroyed my Lenova laptop and recently replaced it with an upscale hp laptop, with Windows 10 Professional (and Office 2010 professional, from the former pc). [I have another Win 10 all-in-one upgraded from Win 7, working well, and a Win 7 desktop working reasonably well.]

I used Laplink PCmover to transfer my files and some programs from my screen-destroyed former laptop, apparently mostly successfully. All of the customizations were supposed to transfer with it, and many did. I am able to connect to my Home Network for internet access but not for accessing my other network hardware including other pcs, printers, scanner, internet radio, ... .

Is there a way that I can verify my home network password on one of the network-attached devices?

Is there some other possible reason that my attempts to join the Home Network might be unsuccessful?

BTW: This is my first attempt to use Windows 10 Professional. All my other Win 10 and Win 7 pcs are the "Home" version.

Thanks.

Globalist
    Last edited by globalist; 2016-03-16 at 13:44. Reason: correction

Thanks
    I am able to connect to my Home Network for internet access but not for accessing my other network hardware including other pcs, printers, scanner, internet radio, ... .
    I'm not sure what you mean about not accessing your other network hardware. If you mean that they don't show up in File Explorer so that you can access them, I had a similar problem which I posted about here:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...etwork-problem and it was cleared up with the next build that came out in an update.
    Check the version and build number on your computer by search>type winver> click on the result and it will tell you what your current version and build are.
    Hope this helps

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    version 1511, build 10586.164 - system says this is the latest.

Network items appear on Windows Explorer, but I cannot install a printer that is on the local network (and readily accessed by other pcs on the network). Network printers are not found when I attempt to install them.

Thanks
    Depending on the printer, you usually have to install the software first and then it will look for that printer. Install the software choosing wireless when asked.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Global, hello.

I find that this new OS, W-10 is hard on your LAN. I find that every new install requires a new enable of this LAN. Have a look at Control Panel ->System -> mid-screen Workgroup. If it is not showing your Homegroup name you will have to do it.

On that page, go to Advanced System Settings -> Computor Name -> Network ID and cure this.

There is another setting where you have to say that your LAN is private ( home ) and not part of a network. Darn if I can find it now. I have been looking for the last 10 minutes for it, no joy.

Remember all these settings, any new version of W-10 will delete them all to their own defaults. Still is fun.

I am on Pro here too. Jean.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My network is quite complex, including two switches, a remote access point, and multiple devices (two desktops(Win 7 & 10), two laptops (Win 10), Bose soundtouch, printers (networked, wireless, and pc-attached), scanners). I wonder if I shouldn't just start over with a new homegroup name and password. Is that possible?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Global, you wrote : Is that possible?

Sure but why ? You would be fighting the same war. My setup here is comparable to yours, minus the Bose touch. 4 computors, 3 printers, 2 scanners and I can control any device from any machine.

I find that the opening of the LAN after booting is tedious and that escapes me. The green bar at the top takes forever to get all the way over to the right. I cancel it after 1/2 way across then the desired machine comes on screen after a two-click on it. I would have thought that the "handshaking" would be +/- instantaneous in this world.

I am still looking for the missing dialogue. It has to do with this being a private LAN ( home ) or a business one. I am not giving up on the search, maybe it is only available when the new install of W-10 sets up a business one ??? After clicking on "home", the machine has to be restarted. Jean.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The "why" is that I may have more than one homegroup now - I used to be able to figure things out, but I'm not doing so well nowadays with networking.

But if I don't have to, that would be even better.

Thanks
    I have no experience with HomeGroup, I have always setup work groups on my home computers/devices but you may find some answers in this google search:
    https://www.google.com/webhp?source=..._plus_one=form
    Sorry that I can't be of more help.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

globalist (2016-03-18)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I GOT IT! Thanks to all for their help and patience.
    What I needed to do was find the Windows-set password for my home group, and then go to Homegroup Setup - worked like a charm, and then my printers, etc were instantly available.

Thanks
    Glad you found the solution. Thanks for posting back. You can mark this thread as solved by going to thread tools