Thread: ISP bonus

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ISP bonus

Some time ago, I made a post in a thread that I thought that ISPs apply some form of data protection before it reaches the userís computer, and it might be advisable to check to see what, if anything, the ISPs offer. (I canít find my own post, but thatís the gist of it.)

Today, after years with the same ISP, I made the embarrassing discovery that I could at any time have McAfee Security Ďfreeí (which is to say Iíve been paying for it for years), as a download from the ISP. I also discovered that McAfee gets good ratings.

As my existing licences expire, this looks like an acceptable replacement. Itís not a trial; itís the full version, good on all devices for as long as I remain with the provider. As a paid product, it will have support not offered by freeware.

The moral of the story is to check what your service provider includes in the package.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Absolutely; I've been using Norton provided by Comcast/Xfinity for years without a hiccup. (And, no, Norton isn't the resource hog it was decades ago --Haters gotta hate).

Zig

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    TalkTalk, my ISP in the UK have something along those lines but I prefer my Norton which I usually get at a discounted price.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogberry View Post
    I also discovered that McAfee gets good ratings.
    I'd be interested in where you discovered this.
    McAfee doesn't do particularly well in the most recent AV Comparatives test, similar to previous tests.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My ISP also offers McAfee gratis for customers, but for me the results are still not good enough; for example:-
    http://chart.av-comparatives.org/cha...&sort=0&zoom=2

edit; BATcher beat me to it.
    Last edited by Trev; 2016-03-19 at 14:17. Reason: Previous poster made the same point.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I confess that PC Mag was my first and only review. A hit on the dayís political news in the States (off-limits in The Lounge) led me to the discovery that the company is now owned and operated by Intel, which may offer greater confidence among many users.

Much depends on the number of licences you need and what you are using your machine(s) for: email and browsing are risky, for example, and an off-line computer theoretically needs little no protection at all. My current main protection is Kaspersky Total Security, which comes with components I never use and is accordingly excessive, and Kaspersky Internet Security. I, too, buy it in the box when the specials are on, but I do prefer Kaspersky, and will probably stick with it.

Thanks
    Let us hope that your backup image is not on a disk permanently connected to your "rig", and you do not fall victim to one of the encrypting ransomware viruses. Nor that your rig and backups burn down together...

For completeness, your tagline should really read:
    A backup image of your OS and a regular backup of your data files, both easily restorable and held offsite, are the best friends you will ever have!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Let us hope that your backup image is not on a disk permanently connected to your "rig", and you do not fall victim to one of the encrypting ransomware viruses. Nor that your rig and backups burn down together...
    ...or worse.

For completeness, your tagline should really read:
    A backup image of your OS and a regular backup of your data files, both easily restorable and held offsite, are the best friends you will ever have!
    'Best friends' would have to be human, but it's good advice for computer users. BTW, it only applies to data, not OS (which is replaceable).